Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Warm ups? Stretches?

Curious what you do for warmups. Particularly the fret hand. I have short fingers and struggle with fretting a lot and I’m thinking there may be some way to warm up or stretch that could help.

Suggestions?

1 Like

I start with some basic scales and work up to some roll’s or visa versa. It just kinda depends on what tunes I’m workin on or how I feel when i pick up my Banjo!! I also physically do some gentle hand stretches’ ect… like you stretch your self out before (to get the muscles firing) before you practice or play sports. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have an oversized Teacup stretch my fingers round it hand at a time whilst drink still hot. Then into playing badly with warm hands :wink: Better than playing badly with cold hands!

3 Likes

Back when I was in a band that did some furiously fast material the guitar player and I would run our hand under hot water for a while, stretch in different ways, then warm up with scales, rhythms, & such.

Getting your arms moving to help the blood flow before playing can also be beneficial.

1 Like

According to Dr. Banjoe, you are suffering from a syndrome listed in the medical books as “Beginners Fingers.” Sometimes called, "Short fingers, “Fat fingers,” or “All Thumbs,” the symptoms are the same. It usually starts with a muted note that should ring clear, and is followed by an inability to reach the fret required for a chord. Other symptoms include pain & callouses on the fingertips, grooves worn into the callouses and uncomfortable tendon pain in the left hand.
Fortunately for all of us, Beginners Fingers can be treated successfully in a few short weeks without any creams, ointments or harmful chemicals.
Simply engage in behavior modification techniques that include multiple repetitions of a full C, D and F chords.
It won’t be easy, but you gotta crawl like a baby before you can dance like a sailor!
BTW- We ALL feel your pain! :grin:

3 Likes

Never heard of that…I’ll have to give it a try.

Dance like a sailor now that is an image!

1 Like