Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

War Veteran - Raises Millions

Hi Guy’s

Check out this amazing story & be sure to watch the video

With so much going on around the world right now. Half the world on lock-down, politicians and media squabbles and a US presidential election on the horizon in November you may have missed this quite remarkable story of Heroism

Captain Tom Moore a 99-year-old British Army Veteran who recently underwent a hip replacement wanted to express his personal thanks to the Doctor’s and Nurses who had cared for him during his surgery.

So he set himself a personal challenge to complete 100 laps of his Bedfordshire garden by Thursday 16 April, with the use of a walking frame, a distance of approximately 25 metres in length and a target of 10 laps a day before he turns 100 years old at the end of the month.

Well the news is Tom has completely surpassed his original target of raising £1,000 for the NHS in the fight against Covid-19 the coronavirus pandemic.

Tom was born and brought up in Keighley, Yorkshire. He went to Keighley Grammar School and later completed an apprenticeship as a Civil Engineer. Tom went onto being enlisted in 8 DWR (145 Royal Armoured Corps) at the beginning of the war, and in 1940 was selected for Officer training. He was later posted to 9DWR in India, and served and fought on the Arakan Campaign Burma, moved with the Regiment to Sumatra, Indonesia after the Japanese surrender and returned to be Instructor at Armoured Fighting Vehicle School in Bovington, England

Captain Tom Moore set up a Just Giving fundraising page, titled: “Captain Tom Moore’s 100th Birthday Walk for the NHS.” with the hope that his family, friends & neighbours might add their support but once the worlds media learned of the story his initial target was blown out of the water.

At 6pm yesterday Tom had raised just over £1 Million I have just checked the Fundraising page and at noon today and it has surpassed £6 Million and still rising.

Hearing about his personal challenge folks from across the world began making donations of between £10 - £100 ($12 - $125) and much much more. I have seen folks from Canada, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand making large pledges

People donating money to the fundraising page have left encouraging messages for Captain Moore.

One anonymous donor wrote: “You’re an inspiration Captain Moore. Thank you to all our key workers.”

Another wrote: “A hero helping heroes. Well done Captain Tom!”

At one point, donations were coming in so quickly that the Just Giving page crashed.

Before long Tom found himself being interviewed on British TV, and the story is now being shown on all the major news networks around the world.

Good Morning Britain appearance

Tom made an appearance on Good Morning Britain on Monday 13 April, saying: “Who would have thought that when I set a target of £1,000 a week ago, it could have reached £500,000?”

Piers Morgan publicly donated £10,000 to Captain Moore’s efforts during his appearance on Monday’s show.

Captain Moore appeared again on Good Morning Britain on Tuesday 14 April, and it was announced that his fundraising efforts had successfully brought in over £1 million.

Speaking on the show, Captain Moore said: “Piers and Susanna it is amazing and thank you Piers for your contribution yesterday. It was enormous, it was so kind of you.

“It’s marvellous for our doctors and nurses on the front line. In the last war it was soldiers in uniform on the front line. This time our army are the doctors and nurses uniforms. They’re doing such a marvellous job.

“Thank you very, very much. You are so kind. It’s such a benefit to so many people. You’re giving hope to the people finding it very difficult. We will survive this.”

As word of Captain Moore’s efforts spread, the total raised on his Just Giving page has now surpassed £5 million.

What charity is the money going towards?

The money raised by the fundraiser is going towards NHS Charities Together.

The money will be spent on much needed items, such as well-being packs for NHS staff, rest and recuperation rooms and electronic devices for patients to keep in touch with their loved ones.

Ellie Orton, chief executive of the charity that will receive the money from the fundraising, spoke to the BBC, saying: “I think I absolutely join the rest of the county in being truly inspired and profoundly humbled by Captain Tom and what he has achieved.

“Thank you for being an inspiration and a role model.”

When Captain Moore passed the £1 million target on Tuesday 15 April, the NHS Charities Together Twitter account also tweeted: “And he’s done it. War hero @captaintommoore has surpassed his new £1million target already! Keep going, Tom. How much more can you help him raise for our #COVID19 Urgent Appeal? #walkwithtom #NHS.”

How do I donate to Captain Tom Moore’s campaign?

If you want to donate to the campaign, you can do so by visiting the Just Giving page online here.

Just hit the ‘donate’ button and you’ll be taken to a page where you can choose the donation amount - you can choose from the pre-selected amounts of £10, £20, £30, £50 or £100, or alternatively you can enter a specific amount yourself.

The aim was to raise money before Tom turned 100 years old at the end of the month, so the campaign should remain open until then - there has been no word on when the campaign will officially end.

Updates

Captain Tom Moore

‎14‎ ‎April‎ ‎2020‎ ‎12‎:‎11
We have only gone and done it…over 1 million pound. We are so thrilled, and so glad to be able to unite our country at such a sad time and all for our incredible NHS. Tom would like to thank all of you, from the bottom of his heart.

Captain Tom Moore

‎12‎ ‎April‎ ‎2020‎ ‎14‎:‎33
Tom has only managed to raise over £250,000 after appearing on BBC Radio 2 and talking to the incredible Michael Ball, so we thought; why not set the bar even higher? Let’s raise half a million pounds for our NHS heroes.

Captain Tom Moore

‎11‎ ‎April‎ ‎2020‎ ‎19‎:‎18
We are overwhelmed by the response, and have reached our second target of £100,000. So have decided to set the bar higher - let’s do £250,000 for our NHS heroes.

Captain Tom Moore

‎10‎ ‎April‎ ‎2020‎ ‎14‎:‎04
We reached our target of £1,000 in an amazing 24 hours, so we are now making it ‘get Tom’s 100th birthday walk to £100k for our amazing nhs’ by his 100th birthday. Fingers crossed!

About the campaign
Supporting NHS staff and volunteers caring for Covid-19 patients
run by Association of NHS Charities

NHS staff, volunteers and patients impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. Together, let’s show our respect and gratitude as NHS staff, volunteers and carers work tirelessly in the face of the virus.

About the charity
Association of NHS Charities

The NHS is amazing. It is there for us at the most profound moments in our lives, no matter who we are or what we need. There are 250 NHS Charities in the UK providing funds and services above and beyond what the NHS alone can provide. Everyday NHS Charities give £1 million to the NHS

9 Likes

Amazing what Tom has done for the NHS, a true hero that has been there, got the T-Shirt and some…

4 Likes

I salute him!

4 Likes

Update 6pm today, 15 April

Wow £8,303,202.78

3 Likes

Update 16 April 2020

A Guard of Honour from the 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment turned out to salute Captain Tom Moore as he completes the 100th lap of his garden.

Brigadier Andrew Jackson, colonel of the Yorkshire Regiment, described Capt Tom as “an absolute legend” who came from “an exceptional generation that are still an inspiration for our Yorkshire soldiers today”.

I am pleased to report Captain Tom has completed 100 laps of his garden and raised more than £12m for the NHS.

Tom originally wanted to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together by completing laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

But he has smashed his target after more than 640,000 people made donations to his fundraising page.

As he finished the challenge, he said: “I feel fine, I hope you’re all feeling fine too.”

Capt Tom told the BBC earlier that the total amount raised so far was “an absolutely fantastic sum of money”.

“I never dreamt I would be involved in such an occasion as this,” he said at the end of his final lap.

Website Crashed

By 11:00 BST, Capt Tom’s JustGiving page, which temporarily crashed shortly after he finished the challenge, was showing donations of more than £12.5m.

His daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore said: "We are absolutely floored by what has been achieved but we’re so happy, so humbled and so proud.

“He’s a beacon of hope in dark times and I think we all need something like this to believe in and it’s for such an amazing cause.”

Message from Captain Tom

‘It will all be right’

Shortly after he finished the fundraiser, the retired soldier had words of advice for the nation about coping with the coronvirus lockdown.

“You’ve all got to remember that we will get through it in the end, it will all be right,” he said.

“For all those people finding it difficult at the moment, the sun will shine on you again and the clouds will go away.”

Tom may have completed his 100 laps but the money still keeps pouring in.

Total raised as of 12 Noon BST 16 April 2020

£13,001,323.65 point__laugh

3 Likes

Latest Update

Total raised as of 6 p.m. BST 16 April 2020

£15,101,457.85 1

4 Likes

FANTASTIC NEWS @Archie

4 Likes

Latest Update

Total raised as of 8.30 p.m. BST 17 April 2020

very_happy £20,095,992.96 very_happy

4 Likes

That’s incredible. The story was on the network news last night in California.

3 Likes

Hi @The_Mole Yes It’s quite remarkable what this old soldier has achieved. Our Health Service staff are highly appreciated by the public and I can see this fundraising total continue to rise for a few weeks yet. Our lockdown has just been extended for a further three weeks and we need everyone to stay strong to see it through.

4 Likes

Latest Update

Total raised as of 7.00 p.m. BST 18 April 2020

hat_wave£23,688,088.32 hat_wave

3 Likes

Latest Update

Total raised as of 6.00 p.m. BST 19 April 2020

thanks £26,113,034.51 thanks

5 Likes

bug_eyes WOW another £ 1 Million plus donated in the last 24 hours. bug_eyes

Latest Update

Total raised as of 6.00 p.m. BST 20 April 2020

1 £27,171,333 point__laugh

Supporters 1,287,18

3 Likes

Latest Update

Total raised as of 7.30 p.m. BST 22 April 2020

hat_wave £28,124,151 hat_wave

Supporters 1,325,406 point__laugh

Sorry I missed yesterday’s update. I was busy creating a picture video for my eldest granddaughters birthday. She turned 21 today, It’s hard to believe how quickly time flies.

Captain Tom Moore officially opens the New Nightingale Hospital in Harrogate Yorkshire via video link.

4 Likes

Latest Update

Today Capt Tom Moore celibrates his 100th Birthday and what a birthday he had. Be sure to check out the video’s below

Total raised as of 7.00 p.m. BST 30 April 2020

hat_wave £32,135,124 hat_wave

Supporters 1,492,138

4 Likes

Sir Moore. I guess that is how he would be addressed these days. I’m sure that the ceremony meant a lot to both the Queen and Sir Moore, both being of the same generation and having lived through a tumultuous history.

5 Likes

i Saw an interview with him the other day and he said he wants to be addressed as Captain Tom

What an amazing Man he is

1 Like