Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Want to find pickers

Gentlemen what is the best way to go about finding a band or pickers who want to play in a bluegrass gospel band. Are there places like Craigslist where I can list my availability? I’m ready to play with other people and need help finding them.

6 Likes

I’m in the same boat man. It’s hard finding bandmates. Good luck.

3 Likes

Well, if you move out to Southern California with all the crazies, we can jam any time you want! Speaking of, if anyone of you are nuts enough to be out here, please hit me up!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I can almost guarantee that I’ll never be in Southern California, but I’ll keep that in mind just in case😂

3 Likes

It’s one of my favorite places in the world for many reasons! There are of course reasons why I wouldn’t move there, but it is a magical and beautiful part of the planet.

3 Likes

17 Likes

Classic. Well done.

13 Likes

I’m right there with you on it being a magical and beautiful part of the planet. There are plenty of reasons to not be here and a handful to stick around. After all, I have to spread my mom’s midwest values somewhere needed!

On a positive note, the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle Contest and Festival was amazing :smile:

3 Likes

Now that everyone has got their ethnocentric bile out of the way.

@davidsonpaul78 could investigate the following to find pickers. Your local church; the community section of Craigslist has a musician classification; you may have a state or regional bluegrass association with lists of jams, teachers, or luthiers, contact any of them for leads; Meetup.com often has musical groups listed; bluegrass festivals have jams with beginner or slow jam groups; you may have an old time fiddle association or similar group; music instrument stores usually have a bulletin board. For a little money you might be able to find a group guitar class to meet people, community colleges often have music programs with students of all abilities, depending on where you live and your age there may be other opportunities in community settings. Talk to the guy playing an instrument on the street. In short, there are a lot of opportunities to meet people and play music. No doubt there are many people in your situation, looking for other pickers. The thing to remember is that no one expects you to be Bela Fleck/Billy Strings/Sam Bush. Good luck.

2 Likes