Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Wall-mounted instrument hangers

Anyone have any advice/concerns with wall-mounted instrument hangers? Any chance they could ultimately do damage to your instrument? Thanks!

We use the Hercules stands in the shop and I’ve hung my instruments on them at home for years. I don’t want to tell you what to do, but I’ve had no issues.

If hanging a banjo/guitar, you probably want to take the capo off, or let it slide down the neck. If it’s hanging by the capo it can dig into the finish, have had that happen.

5 Likes

Todd, I am currently not using any wall hangers but when I did in the past I made sure to attach them to a stud in the wall. I just don’t trust those drywall anchors no matter how much weight they say they are rated to hold.

7 Likes

I have had wall hangers and stands in use for years. I had one incident where the pad material of a stand softened the nitro lacquer. I won’t mention the name of the company because it was early in their product evolution and they quickly changed materials, offered to pay for the repair (I declined) and reportedly contacted others who had gotten early versions of their stands. Other than that, no issues. In particular I have parked instruments for months and years in hercules stands and string swing hangers with no negative results.

I agree with Stuart… I do recommend for wall hangers to be mounted to a stud.

3 Likes

Just make sure your wall is SOUND PROOF

4 Likes

The hanger should not place your instrument in direct sunlight. Attention should be paid to the ambient humidity to avoid drying. Needless to say, the hanger should be positioned to preclude bumps which might cause the instrument to fall.

3 Likes

Thanks to you and @Mike_R. for the Hercules recommendation. About to set up my music room in the new home over the next few weeks and was wondering what everyone else was using.

Edit - just ordered 5 of them from the store!

4 Likes

@Oldhat2 Where did you end up relocating to?

1 Like

Be aware that banjos don’t do well with some guitar holders—sometimes the tuners sticking out from the back of the headstock rest on the guitar hook. That puts the weight of the banjo on the bottom two tuners rather than cleanly on the headstock. So make sure to get a hook made for your type of instrument. Hercules as Ben suggested work well, but I had to buy an extra set of cushions due to the thinner neck of my banjo.

If you need something that looks nice enough to be fine furniture, Solid Ground Stands makes nice ones. My better half lets me keep a banjo out and available in our living room because the stand looks so nice. But they are expensive. I have a couple String Swing hooks and they look great as well. I agree with installing them in a stud.

2 Likes

Also I’ll be stocking some very nice wooden solid ground stands in the coming months. They won’t be cheap, either, but I love them.

3 Likes

Fairfield Glade (Crossville, TN). It’s on the “plateau” North of Crossville TN…2 hours East of Nash and 1 hour West of Knox. It’s a “retirement community” with 5 really nice golf courses, 8K homes spread out over 15K acres… I arrived about 10 years early.

Absolutely loving it.

FORE!

2 Likes

Small world! My Mom and Dad lived in Fairfield Glade, and after they passed, my sister lives there. I never played the courses, but we walked a few near their house. The most memorable hole was a par 3 that went severely downhill. It so steep that you couldn’t see the green from where the tees were located.

Fairfield Glade is a lovely area. We spent some time climbing near the Obed river. There is much to see and do. I hope you all enjoy it!

2 Likes

All the more reason to get a Solid Ground Stand! It also aligns with one of Ben’s 11 pointers—keeping your instrument accessible.

Well, that’s #14 on Stonehenge (the par 3 down the hill)image

The next hole by the lake is #15 and the signature hole. I live off of 15 on Stonehenge, not on the lake or on the golf course, but I can see both (15 and the lake from my home).

Next time you show up let’s tee it up.

Obed - Oh yeah, kayak purchases coming soon. I plan on fishing it a lot…fly fishing and light spinning outfits for smallmouth, then driving into the Smokies for trout.

I also purchased the vacant acre next to me. It’s quiet there. I thought my place S of Nash back in the woods was quiet…where we live in FG is a lot quieter.

Def a small world. I have 3200 sq ft 4bd there and another 2K sq ft that can be finished out… plenty of room for you a pallet on the floor if you ever need it. Let me know when you end up there again, if no golf maybe some picking or at least some chow. Or we could put on a concert for the folks! There’s some type of concert there just about weekly.

I live up in the woods around the corner to the right on 15 hole…but up on the left. If there were no leaves you could probably see my place around 1:00-2:00 in the image. My neighbors? West Point Grad, a retired full bird (Army), a retired helicopter pilot (Army), and another, Army combat vet that owns 3 Dairy Queens. image

…and for the record? I’m teeing it up tomorrow on West Point’s home course.

3 Likes

Mike I snapped this pic from the kayak Sunday afternoon. Thought I’d share. A different view from the lake looking back to where earlier pics were taken.

…turning pretty up here on the plateau. I call this photo “Mulligan’s Gap” (double meaning).

Guitar in my lap today.

https://ibb.co/pKstS5m

2 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes