Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Violent Femmes Country Death Song

Super cool banjo rolling backup in this song. Sounds like Lots of standard Scruggs licks. I’m trying to figure it out. I think it’s an alternative tuning. Most of the song in D minor. Anyone ever messed with this?

Check out their video. It might give you more insights than what I can. (To my bad ear it sounds like double C tuning. To my other bad ear it sounds like something played claw hammer.)

Thanks for the video. I watched it but this version doesn’t have the banjo part I was alluding to. I think this is one of those under appreciated studio musicians that you never hear about.

Banjo starts at about 1:20

You’re probably right about a studio musician. The singer/banjo player seemed to be playing his banjo like a guitar.

Google search revealed it was Tony Trischka lol. I’m going to send him an email. Maybe he will answer.

1 Like

Definitely not alternative tuning. It’s mostly just a standard Dm position (3-3-2-3) except he leaves the 4th string open a lot. Also lifts off and hammers on the 3rd string frequently. Leaves the 1st string open from time to time, too.

Pretty cool rolling backup!

2 Likes