Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Violão Caipira!

Hello Forum Fanatics: I was fortunate to visit my family in Brasil for the first time in 4 years.

While I was there, I picked up a little sumthin’ - taking advantage of a very favorable exchange rate to purchase a Brasilian-made “Country” acoustic guitar… but in E tuning E,B,G#,E,B with 10- strings.

It is a very traditional instrument by a very old Brand called Giannini Raiz (meaning “Roots” in Portuguese).

Viola Giannini VS 1 MUIR EQ NS Muirapiranga Série Raiz Brasil

https://www.musitechinstrumentos.com.br/files/pro_24541_g.jpg

9 Likes

Yup there is a whole world of music out there besides bluegrass.

3 Likes

Very cool! Congrats on the new instrument! At some point you’ll have to share its sound with us here :grin::notes:

5 Likes

That’s a really cool instrument! Is it normally played fingerstyle? Looks like steel strings?

2 Likes

Looks nice!

2 Likes

@Michael_Mark,

Yes, well… I have commonly seen players use a thumb pick only…

Typically played with the nails of the right hand… so it is customary that violeiros - dare I use the word… manicure their nails to be slightly longer and shaped into a sort of pick fashion.

One teacher said this is important because a technique calls to use the nail and the fleshy part of the finger together in some sort of way.

Thus, I am starting to let my nails grow and shape them in this fashion… in prep to try to learn more on what he meant.

2 Likes

@Simone,

Here is an instrumental sample from a famous Brasilian artist named Almir Sater:

2 Likes

Will, good to see you back here! I’m not on Spotify, so was unable to see that clip, however, I looked up the Violao Caipira and was able to check out several videos of it being played. What a cool sound!
You’re going to have a lot of fun with that! And how convenient - double courses of strings like a mando, will keep your fret fingers in shape for mando picking, and somewhat banjo-y finger picking style will keep your picking hand in shape if you decide to get back to the 5 string again! Win-Win :slightly_smiling_face::+1::notes:

2 Likes

voilà

2 Likes

Hi @Simone,

Great to check in and even better to hear from you!

Yeah, I gotta get a Banjer… as I miss it!

Yes, a lovely sound for sure.

This man is amazing: Marcus Biancardini is a Master… and all videos of his are great… but this is more traditional… so you can hear the sound of the instrument itself.

1 Like