Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Videos from a recent practice session

Last night some friends came over to practice/jam. The (Almost) family band from left to right: myself, Grace, Gideon, and Henry. Grace usually plays guitar, but I got her to play mandolin, and I think it helps balance the sound.

If you can stand to watch another video of me playing Wabash Cannonball…:roll_eyes::wink:

https://vimeo.com/377068711
10 Likes

Will the Circle Be Unbroken. I totally forgot how to play the banjo break. My brother was trying to be like some of the @BanjoBen’s with his expressions. :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @Mark_Rocka 0:35 seconds is for you.

10 Likes

Nice picking and singing on both! Your brother’s faces were funny :joy::joy: it would have been slightly better if the mandolin had played back beat, and I would have liked to hear the other vocals slightly louder, but otherwise great all round!

3 Likes

I always want to hear the other vocals louder…

2 Likes

I feel kinda dumb, but whats back beat?

1 Like

By and by, brother. By and by. :laughing:

Great job playing and singing at the same time. That’s tough to do on the banjo.

3 Likes

She was strumming on the 1 & 3 beats of each measure.
back beat would be on 2 & 4…opposite the bass notes

Bass is boom and mando is chick - boom chick boom chick…

4 Likes

It can be hard for people not used to singing to sing loudly, it’s something I’m still trying to learn. But with practice it can be done, you might just have to ask several times for them to sing up.

Exactly what Dave said

2 Likes

I think the team is gelling very well! Good job Harrison! The young gentleman’s bass playing style is so cool and casual. :joy:

3 Likes

Good stuff, and I love those faces, hahaha

4 Likes

Ok, got it.
Thanks for the comments everyone!

2 Likes

Hi!
I really enjoyed listening to both of these totally 'grassy renditions! I did have a thought, if you would indulge a Really Olde™ guy…

Have you considered the effects of the actual placement of your band members? Go take a look at the both of these videos and pay specific attention to where and what each member of the band is actually looking at. If it were me, I would place the bass player (who I thought is excellent btw) and the guitarist together in such a manner that they could lock eyes and read each other without having to move their heads. Probably have them switch positions in the room. And since the banjo appears to run the show (from what it looked like to moi…), put him in the middle and let everybody have instant access to him instead of having to look backward across their picking arms to see him.

Just my two cents. I LOVED these videos. You guys really worked these songs!

• Some Olde Guy From Florida
3 Likes