Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Video of my G-chop transitions and forming good habits. Need some pointers on practice techniques

U can watch the video but i also explain what I’m looking for below

To form the 4 finger g chord for the chop I use different parts of my finger pads than forming most traditional chords. This is due to my hand/finger size, mechanics, and whatever. So when I make the chord, my hand almost does an inward curling claw motion, this is how I achieve proper pressure on each individual note and leaving enough room above each string so that I’m not muting any string with other parts of my hand or fingers.

Anyway, this is not about making the g chord, I do that just fine, FINALLY (For all the newbies still in the struggle, it’ll happen just keep at it).
This is about switching to other chop chords and back to G. Since my claw type grip on the G involves me "scooping/sweeping into the chord to help anchor those fingers, it makes transitioning delayed. Hard to explain but watch the video and any advice on different ways u practice your transitioning would be great. Thanks you!! :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader:

2 Likes

The video isn’t working. It says it may have moved?

I opened to public view see if that works

2 Likes

The video works, thank you. This is a “go North” or “go South” moment, so I am going to wait and let Ben respond. My gut tells me he might have advice for avoiding or greatly minimizing “the swoop” as I think you called it.

1 Like

Wish I could offer something helpful regarding big G chord transitions, but really can’t. (I’ve got lots of questionable habits!:rofl:). I mostly play partial chop chords (due to old left wrist problems) - using GD & A strings, occasionally I’ll use all 4, when using this shape - Bb for example - barre the 3rd fret G&D string with index finger and do 5th fret A string with ring finger, and 6th fret E string with pinky. (3356). If having a bad day I omit the pinky (335X). (These can also be played ‘ringing’ out.)

This is like the big G chop in that it’s a moveable shape for different chords. It’s also easy to turn minor. I just get better mileage playing this way, better tone, & can do the transitions well (less wrist issues.) I’ve tried to play the big G all kinds of ways, & curled over as you do as well, but doesnt work for me. Surely someone here will be able to offer some suggestions! Wishing you the best! :grin: :notes::notes:

2 Likes

This was helpful thanks! I like the sound of the 3356. It chops for sure. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey James! Man, it sounds good when you run through those chop chords. That G chop chord is a BOOGER! I think your hand position looks good man…expecially on those 3 string chords (C and D). “Swooping” that pinky out there for G complicates it doesn’t it?!
@Simone makes a great point. There are other voicings for the G chord that are easier to reach. Consider also 755X as another very accessible G chord.
But don’t give up on those 4 string chop chords. You may try moving down a couple frets to A Chop chord and playing A,D, E progression. The frets are closer together so its a little easier reach. That may help you develop the muscle memory in your left hand, and then you can back up to that G chord.
Another important thing here man…Don’t practice this so long that it hurts you for 2 reasons.

1. These positions are not natural for your hand yet, so ease your muscles into it.
  2. It just gets frustrating. And when you get frustrated your not having fun!
    You’ve got great tone man! You’ll get this bro!
4 Likes

Thanks for the compliments, means a lot! Those are great points. I’ve done everything I could to finally get that 4 finger chop and after taking all the advice on here and from the video lessons I finally achieved a clean chord shape and sound I’m happy with. The transitions with speed and having them sound clean is my concern now. I’m sure , like the g chord, it’s gonna come down to just repetition and practice and patience. But I’m making sure I’m not missing any steps or tricks along the way.

Anyway, the reason I have to swoop my hand in there is because of the bottom fingers, and more specifically, my middle finger, not so much the pinky. So if u look at the picture below, this is the finger shape. So u notice to make the shape I’m actually using fronts of my finger tips and almost the bottom part of my pinky pad. After much practice and stretching this is the only way my fingers would plant this position without muting other strings because I’m using that claw shape and if I don’t anchor the bottom 2 fingers the middle finger wants to slide up to the ring finger. I think this is because the claw shape is like making a fist and as u close your fist your fingers naturally want to come together. Hahaha I’ve tried putting rubber bands around my fingers when practicing that shape to train them from wanting to come together. :sweat_smile: mandolin is quite the journey haha.
Like u said, I have to remind myself to have fun and not let it get to frustrating.

1 Like

try laying the neck of the mandolin in the front of the palm of your hand. Your thumb will lay flat on the back of the neck. This is what I do… hope it helps…

3 Likes

For me it just does not matter how clean you fret on a full chop -I could be chopping along on an A (on a key of G song) and no one in my band would notice.
If you want a bit of tone along with the chop just use a partial chord

As you practice doing the full G chop chord switching to the 4 or 5 chord will get easier
I think your pinky is a bit stiff still -I notice my pinky tends to stay extended out more (so my fingers are staying fairly close to the same position)

I think the key is don’t worry about hitting it super clean and over a few months you will develop good tone

3 Likes

Appreciate that. That all makes perfect sense.

1 Like

A video to thank everyone for their help!

3 Likes

@musicman.baker thanks for the video. It always helps to see it. Shout out to Jonesboro fire :fire:, im an ARFF Firefighter in Knoxville! :man_firefighter:t4:

1 Like

Yes sir @Just_James!! Was with JFD for 7years and left to do ministry work. Man I miss it sometimes!! I’m actually one of their chaplains now…I love getting to give back a little.

You keep this mandolin stuff up man. Your doing great!! And maybe @BanjoBen will chime in here later and you’ll get some REAL help!

2 Likes