Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Using the pinky for solos

I’ve started practicing on the mandolin because I’ll be going to the April camp; I couldn’t get in on the banjo so I got a mandolin spot. My only formal musical training is classical violin and I have a question about fingering on the mandolin. On the violin we use the pinky a lot for the solo parts, since most violin is single notes, and that’s what I’m used to doing and I feel more comfortable doing that on the mandolin. However I’ve noticed that most mandolin players, including @BanjoBen prefer to stretch the ring finger rather than use the pinky for single notes and solos. My question is: Is it ok to do it the way I’m doing it, or is there an advantage to doing it the way most mandolin players do it? I assume that most do it that way simply because they find it easier than using the pinky, but I want to make sure because I don’t want to learn any bad habits.

Thanks; Steve

Hello! I’m prob the last person who should be replying to this because - I’ve only been playing mando for 2 years, never had any formal lessons, never played a stringed instrument before. Keeping all that in mind :confounded:, I do use the pinky in solos but mainly on the E string, occasionally the A string - and only if I’m not planning on going further up the neck for the rest of the solo. It works for me. But I dont know if it’s the “right” thing to do! :grin:

2 Likes

Well, I’m more inclined to use open strings when I can, but if I’m playing a higher fret I’m more likely to use my pinky. I use my pinky a lot actually. I also was a fiddler before mandolin, so that might have affected my technique, but on mandolincafe several people have noted their inability to use their pinky and saying it’s an asset to be able to, so I say keep using that pinky! It will make you a more versatile player

3 Likes

Yup, I force my pinky to get in the solos, because it won’t cooperate.

3 Likes

Just piling on… A great pinky is a monstrous asset!!! Keep using it a bunch! With that said, don’t neglect the ring finger, but I really doubt that will be a problem.

2 Likes

Great advice here. Yes, use your pinky all you want, but don’t get in a habit of using your pinky alone for the 5th or 6th frets. Use your ring for that when you can since your pinky will be often needed beyond that.

3 Likes