Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Used Banjo Purchase... Good deal?

I came to the Banjo Ben site to lean guitar, but dag-nab-it, I’m thinking about trying the Banjo now. Compared to guitars, banjos are expensive! And not a lot of banjos in stock these days. So I bought a used banjo from Craig’s list. $325 seemed like a fair price for this one. I think I found the same model in the General Store for more. A previous owner installed a pickup for plugging in. I was hoping that meant the banjo had been worked on by someone knowledgeable. The guy I got it from today said the first owner was in a band.

And let’s be honest, I really only want to know that I did ok . If you think I got taken… just say “tick-a-lock”.

Pictures here --> [https://share.icloud.com/photos/0hS1IVGI2GsFSl7GaY195N-vg]

3 Likes

I think you got a good deal on what looks to be a banjo in very good condition. Congrats on your new instrument and you chose the best way to learn from the best teacher!

7 Likes

Sounds like a great deal. How does it sound?

3 Likes

First, I have the highest regard for Timothy’s opinion. He’s a fine banjo player!

Second, it looks to me like you have a Morgan Monroe MNB-1W model. According to their website, it retails for $599.95, though to me it looks like it should cost about $600. :wink:

Since you bought it used, that means someone else has already loaded it with music. All you have to do is press the right strings at the right time to let the music out!

Third, as a Beginner, here’s my expert advice: Stick with Banjo Ben’s Banjo Beginner Learning track. The darn thing works!

6 Likes

Morgan Monroe is a popular brand for beginners. They are not too expensive which adds to the popularity. I have never played one. My first banjo was a Fender FB 58 and turned out a great workhorse. It was made in China and although I bought it new it wasn’t too expensive. Well over a decade later I still have it and I still play it from time to time. banjo

Go luck on your banjo journey and if you have any questions just holler.

2 Likes

There is nothing wrong with that for at all for starting out. Most beginners start with something way less than that. It’s hard to tell from the pictures if that has a rolled brass tone ring or a flathead full weight ring. It’s a good intermediate instrument for sure. Enjoy!

3 Likes

I think it looks like a fine banjo! If you haven’t already, you’ll want to take the resonator off (four thumbscrews in the flange) and check out any labels, etc. that might give you some more info about the banjo. It does look like an MNB-1W to me.

If thou art prepared in thine heart to enter into the dark, harrowing world of banjo setup, the best way to start is the Steve Huber setup course, which walks you through everything you can do to quickly get your banjo sounding and playing great!

8 Likes

Well, knowing very little about the banjo, it sounds like a broken guitar. :smile:

5 Likes