Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Use Video Swap WITHOUT YouTube

I wouldn’t mind to share a video with the community here but don’t particularly want to post to YouTube.

Any ideas?

When you upload to YouTube, you can choose to post it privately. Only someone with a link can view it. Then you post that link here. That’s how I’ve done mine.

1 Like

Thanks so much! I still would prefer another way but will probably need to settle for this option - but thanks so much

You can also post a small video directly. Like Wendell, I use the private post on youTube and it works great. People can’t get to it without a direct link.

The video upload feature is mainly designed for Ben to help people out with issues. It’s not intended for uploading full songs at the moment. Maybe some day.

If YouTube isn’t the way to go for you, you might want to upload your video to Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or a DropBox account, share the upload and then post the link here.

There are a ton of other public sharing sites, too, but most of the free ones are loaded with ads.

1 Like

Thanks for asking this, I’ve been wanting to ask it for some time but I keep forgetting.

Well, I’ve uploaded two vids direct and they worked fine, but that might just be cuz of my low camera quality

I gotta be honest… I think most modern video sources are too high for most purposes. File size goes up exponentially with resolution increases. My point being: your vids are fine.

1 Like

Another point: Correct me if I’m wrong, but another downside of not using a streaming service like youtube to host the video (and instead posting a link to a file that you upload to something like google drive or dropbox) is that it won’t stream. Meaning that each person viewing it has to download the entire file first (which as mentioned can be pretty large these days) and then play it locally on your device. It should work ok (depending on the device that someone is using to view it), but not the best experience IMO.

I personally don’t know of other streaming services like youtube. I suppose you could post the video to facebook? And then link from facebook and it’ll stream?? I dunno… never tried that.

There are some others like vimeo.com and dailymotion.com, but there’s a reason Youtube is #1.

I’ve done this a couple of times. Just have to make sure the video is set to public viewing. You won’t get the stats on the video like you do from YouTube, though. It’s always fun to see how many people have watched your video, and where they’re watching it from. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I figured video size probably has something to do with it since a couple days ago I tried uploading a photo and it wouldn’t so I lowered the resolution (by screenshoting it) and it uploaded fine. If your commenting on my video quality it means you’ve watched it! Yay me :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

You can see this in YouTube?

Hey Will,

Scott’s made a good suggestion with Dropbox or Google drive. You can create a shareable link from within either app. That’s how I do them. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jack

To add to my last post. Both Google Drive and Dropbox provide enough free space for downloading several videos.

Jack

Yes sir! There are all kinds of analytics for your videos. Mostly there for money generating, but you don’t have to make money with your videos to see the data.

Well, I believe Mark suggested using those. My comment was an argument for not using them :slight_smile:

Oops…My bad. I agree with Mark then. I still love you though. :kissing_heart:

Ok, nevermind, I just tried uploading a few different videos (mostly smaller than the others I’ve posted) and apparently the limit is now 4000 kilobytes. Unfortunately, that means I couldn’t upload them at all, cuz I’m not allowed to use other video sharing platforms :disappointed_relieved:

If you can’t use video sharing sites, what about file storage sites? Google Cloud Storage, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, there are a lot of options, and they all have integration features so you can use them on your computer or smart phone.

Then, just upload your video to your free storage space, share it out and post a link here.

1 Like

I’ll try that next time I’m in free-Wi-Fi-ville