Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

US Space Force Uniform

You mean besides misspelling faux pas?

3 Likes

We really do need spelling & grammar policing on this site

5 Likes

A metaphor - Description

noun

A metaphor is a figure of speech that describes an object or action in a way that isn’t literally true, but helps explain an idea or make a comparison.

2 Likes

No, cuz then I wouldn’t be able to joke about spelling :joy:

1 Like

I just play through my mistakes. I call it improvisation

2 Likes

And the best comment of the month award goes to!

1 Like

4 Likes

Yeah, wait for it, everyone’s gonna want a space force now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wait, what? There’s a misspelling? How did I miss that? OK Gunnar, I honestly can’t find it. Please tell me where it is.

2 Likes

My point was that military personnel with stripes are enlisted. Those decisions would be made by officers, most likely generals. So … “someone in the Pentagon is about to lose their stars…” would get the point across.

I may be having a bad couple of days because I must admit, I still don’t know where the faux pas is.

1 Like

Call me Olde School™ but I say “Why reinvent the wheel?” If these uniforms were good enough to fight the First Bug Wars, I don’t see why they won’t do the job the next time…

"Would You Like To Know More?"

3 Likes

JEEPERS! OK, I was l so focused on the original posted image looking for a faux pas and not seeing it. Then you mentioned misspelling and and still I wasn’t seeing it. And I knew I was going to feel so silly once I knew what it was.

I just saw it. For cryin’ out loud, how did I miss that? “fopaux”. In your sentence

My brain saw “the mispelling faux pas”, so I kept looking for a misspelling that was a faux pas. Then it just jumped out at me. fopaux :joy::flushed::rofl: Sorry about that @Archie, I really wasn’t making fun. It looked right to me. Although, that sure is a clever retort on my part. I just wish I had been aware of it.

2 Likes

The US Space Force is already deployed around the world. They have offensive and defensive stationary below ground and above ground missile sites and mobile missile launch platforms and detection and warning systems that can be deployed into enemy territory as needed. And they have their own security and defensive combat personnel to defend those installations. They have transport, medical, and supply infrastructure personnel as well who can also be deployed in enemy territory. With the exception of some medical personal, they are armed and combat trained. Of course they would wear camos.

The Navy and Marines has its special operations forces called Seals (SEa, Air, Land), the Army has the Green Berets, and the Air Force, and its spin off Space Force has Special Warfare teams. All of these teams would be deployed on the ground, in enemy territory. Of course they would wear camos.

These camos were not “designed” for some fantasy Space Force deployed in outer space or something. They are existing Air Force Uniforms; all they did was make some new patches.

I don’t think the Space Force is what I think you think it is.

Now, when battles start breaking out on the moon, yeah they’re gonna need some new duds. Really flexy and light colored deserty looking armored moon suits. And updated moon rovers, yeah, with a gun mount like those desert rats of WW2. That’ll be cool. But then, the Army and the Marines are gonna get bent outa shape about it and say, hey that’s what WE do. Put us up there on the moon and let us do our jobs, you know, like those miners did in one of those asteroid movies, the one with Duval and Aflec. Moon Warriors 'R us.

2 Likes

I get your sentiment, but I don’t know man, those uniforms kinda reminded me of Nazi uniforms. Anyone else?

1 Like

:smiley::kiss: YES YES YES, I love that. And it’s a great point. Sometimes, my mistakes sound awesome. A couple of times I’ve tried to reconstruct the mistake and work into my repertoire.

1 Like

Dah! I didn’t know that. I only served nine years in the Royal Corps of Signals. All armed forces in the UK are enlisted. It’s no longer possible to purchase a Queens Commission.

The stripes remark was intended as a joke. Strips refer to rank, soldiers earn rank ask any NCO and they will tell you that.

I have the highest respect for the US Military. I trained briefly with 8th US Signal Battalion part of 8th US Infantry Division in Bad Kreuznach in Germany back in the 1974

3 Likes

Coolio. So, in the US, enlisted have stripes or chevrons, upside down from your perspective I think. Those with 3 stripes (Sergeant and above) are NCOs; enlisted do most of the work and actual fighting. Commissioned officers, those in command, have bars, oak leaves, eagles and stars to indicate rank.

So, there is no distinction between enlisted and officers? Interesting. Now, you said:

I’m curious, please elaborate.

2 Likes

Since were chatting in space. Many MOONs ago back in the days of Trafalgar and possibly as recent as Victorian times it was possible to purchase an officers commission . You paid money to the The Crown i.e. The Government and depending on the size of the payment you bought your Rank.

Hence the term earning your stripes. To become a Non-Commissioned Officer , enlisted men Lance Corporal, Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant & Warrant Officers. Had to serve for many years before they received promotion and a pay raise.

Soldiers were paid a Shilling when they enlisted which amounted to One Days Pay.

This has a lot to do with the Class System, Upper Middle and Working Classes. To be able to afford an Army Commission. you needed to be rich, property or landowner. Have experience employing men.

4 Likes