Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ukulele's arn't allowed in Bluegrass

I stumbled on this fun little song

9 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: I love that! I’ll have to show that to some Uke players I know…

3 Likes

Ha! That’s awesome!
And while ukuleles are not suited to real bluegrass, they make great back up instruments for fiddle tunes on mandolin

2 Likes

I love my little UKe’s :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

See what Bill missed out on!

2 Likes

Nice!!! And all this time, I thought Ukuleles were just the little Minnie Mouse toy things ya got for the little ones to play with.

3 Likes

Many people believe that to be the case until the see something like this…

5 Likes

uke

7 Likes

Oops, I didn’t know ukes are not allowed in bluegrass – makes sense though. I’m switching my uke stuff to JS Bach, at least 'til the baroque police find out. :grin:

6 Likes

Ukuleles aren’t loud enough for bluegrass, but I do take them seriously as an instrument, which surprises most uke players. I play a couple classical pieces on it and while my uke gently weeps, similar to Jake Shimabukuro’s version

4 Likes

Sweet!

That classical gas arrangement looks pretty approachable… just saying.

4 Likes

Especially if you already play it on guitar… and with a flatpick no less!

3 Likes

Apparantly they work well with swing/jazz. This guy has alot of swingy uke stuff on his channel. (I originally bumped into it looking for tenor banjo stuff. Hes got some cool stuff with two tenors playing - not sure how they’re tuned.)

3 Likes

Here’s a few from Laurence Diehl. Some might know him from BHO…he;s an excellent musician on several instruments.

1 Like

My Banjolele sure packs a punch, when I took it to a jam session the gang told me to turn down the volume. :laughing::rofl:

Also if you put a bunch of the wooden ukes together they sure sing out…

Here is one of my favourite videos.

1 Like

Well yes, banjoleles are quite a different beast, definitely not too quiet!

1 Like