Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Tye Eggleston from Converse, Texas

me%20and%20my%20banjer%20take%203

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
When I was a wee lad of around 13 (so many moons ago…) I remember going to the movies and seeing “Bonnie and Clyde” and hearing “Foggy Mountain Breakdown” in the movie and I was hooked.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I have been playing more off than on for the last 5 yrs. I really didn’t start playing until after the passing of my wife in 2011. A buddy of mine from Cali needed a place to stay and he is an awesome guitar player. He told me it’s not too late to start, so I did. My main goal was to learn to play “FMB” which I have done, I play it slowly until I can get it down correctly. There are so many cool songs to learn, I think “John Hardy” will be next.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
My favorite lesson on Bens site is all of them, but Music Theory is one of the pieces of the puzzle I need to get figured out. Playing is relatively easy (did I say easy?) once you get the timing and rolls and chords figured out. I have really learned a lot about 1/8 and 1/16 notes also (Thank You, Ben, for being very meticulous in explaining it).

What’s your goal when playing?
My goal when playing is trying to get the chords and fingering correct. I am trying not to ingrain any bad habits now. Slow and easy is how I attempt to play, I know the speed will come later.

What’s your favorite hobby?
My favorite hobby(s) is/are Golf, Bowling, Photography and of course playing my banjo.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I was a “Gold Pick” member about 5 yrs ago, then life/work got in the way and I lost my motivation. But I have recently resigned back up and its been about month 1/2.

What do you do for a living?
Currently, right now I am in between employment (still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up). Plus side…I have time to play and learn, downside…the bills don’t stop coming in.

7 Likes

Nice to meet you Tye!

I am jealous of the food in your home area.

Nice to meet you Tye. Congrats on learning FMB.

1 Like

Nice to meet you too Mike. We definitely have a lot of different food types here. If you love Mexican food, there is no shortage of restaurants for sure.

Nice to meet you too Treblemaker (I like the name, very inventive). Well, I can play it, not extremely well or at Earls’ speed. It was for sure on my “Bucket list of songs to learn”. I learned it from a DVD.( I would tell you but I don’t want Ben to think I am cheating on him…lol. But her initials are M.H)

Congrats Tye on being selected at this weeks GPMOTW look forward to seeing you post some videos of your progress in the Video Exchange section when you feel up to it.

1 Like

Great to meet another Texan on the board, Congrats, Tye!

1 Like

Thank you very much. I will try to post some vids as soon as I feel comfortable. But it never fails, I can play them great, but as soon as that camera rolls…

1 Like

Thank you Mark, its always good to meet other Texans here.

Hey @tye705,
FMB is one that I have to go back and play with the Tef file to make myself play it slower and cleaner. That’s a tough song to learn and ever tougher to master. It’s great to meet you!

1 Like

Hi Tye I think everyone feels the same about the red light on the camera. If you practice in front of the camera every once in a while those nerves dissipate over time. We all have the same goal and that is to play perfectly but in reality we are not Earl. Having said that Earl made a few mistakes on camera so that should ease the pressure.

1 Like

Congrats, Tye, on being selected as gold picker otw! Welcome to the website and forum! Enjoy it

1 Like

thank u very much, KG I am really dedicated to playing better and getting promoted to intermediate level…lol

2 Likes

Hi Tye, nice to meet you, so glad you’re back in it. That sure is a pretty banjo you got there, tell us about it.
Cheers,
Maggie

HI Maggie…Thank you very much. As the song says…" Got that loving feeling…". So, my first banjo was a real cheapy, didn’t want to spend a lot if wasn’t going to like it. But after a while I knew I needed a better one, my current one is a Recording King RK-77 Elite Gold limited edition #14. Recording King only made 21 of these and I was fortunate enough to buy one used on “Banjo Hangout”. I really do like it, it is bright and loud. I really do want to upgrade to my (hopefully) last banjo, so I am looking at either a “Bishline” model(I would like a “Midnight Moon” but that’s way out of my budget (unless I win the lottery) or the Heirloom model. and the “Allen” banjo (independent maker in Houston. He only makes 3 different banjos).

I thought there was something about it. I just got the 76 Elite and absolutely love it. It was a huge upgrade for me. That gold sure makes make it pop though. I haven’t heard of the others you mention, I’ll look them up. Cheers.

1 Like

Congratulations Tye, nice getting to know you and that’s a real beaut!

1 Like