Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Two finger chords for backup

I would ask the source but I don’t know her number or even if she’s on the forum so maybe someone out there can help me.
I was recently at a Banjo Ben Camp with Katie as my banjo teacher. She was amazing and easy to understand. That’s my excuse for not making a video of what she was teaching us. A two finger chord for use in backup playing. I did write down “two finger chord” and then the numbers 21 21 5215
I deeply regret being too embarrassed to ask her if I could video what she was showing us. So now I have to ask with an embarrassed laugh…anyone know where I can get a pdf of two finger chords?

4 Likes

Did it happen to sound like this?
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/teardrop-banjo-backup-part-1-banjo-intermediate

I know she tends to run through teardrop backup at camp and two finger chords reminds me of that. If it’s something different, I’m sure we can help you get in touch with Katy :+1:

2 Likes

I do remember her going over something that sounded like that but it was in a later session. She gave us the pdf for this. The first lesson was down the neck.
Thanks for reminding about this lesson too. I might be able to accomplish this soon but I would like to conquer the down the neck two finger rolls first.

1 Like

@Sissiebird this roll is commonly called the “Foggy Mountain Roll”. I believe what Katy was doing was making chord shapes on just the 1st and 2nd strings and playing this roll over them. You could make the entire chord shape, but there is no need to do that for this roll. She was probably playing it over a C (the 4 chord) or D chord (the 5 chord, assuming you’re playing in the key of G), but I’m sure it would work over a G chord (the 1 chord) as well.

C chord would be 1st string 2nd fret, 2nd string 1st fret. For D, just move this up two frets. This would be using what she refers to as chord shape 2 (root note of the chord is on 2nd string)…

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

That’s it exactly! I wasn’t sure which notes of the partial chord to use and nothing sounded right to me. I have played these as you suggested and they sound right. Thank you!

2 Likes

@Sissiebird great! Now try this…play the roll once over the C chord, then slide up to a partial C bar shape (chord shape 3 - 1st and 2nd strings both at the 5th fret) and play the roll a second time. The slide should occur at the very beginning of the second roll. It sounds pretty cool…

1 Like

Your right! Very cool. Now I need to work on speeding up. :+1:t4:

1 Like