Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Twanger Promo Video!

Just released this to YouTube:

You can find the Twanger here: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/gold-tone-style-3-twanger-5-string-bluegrass-banjo-with-case

8 Likes

Man! It sounds awesome no matter who is playing it! I hope I donā€™t ruin that streak. :stuck_out_tongue:

Didnā€™t you already sell out, though? When do you think youā€™ll get another run in after this first one?

1 Like

Yes, I have sold out. Probably late August.

I made the decision to release this video along with folks finding out that it was sold outā€¦hopefully folks will pre-order the next batch as well, which will be available for pre-order in a couple weeks after we make sure this first batch meets our standards.

2 Likes

They sound aaaawsome! :+1:

1 Like

Loved the tone! I noticed it got really mellow when Robbie moved up to the top of the neck.

When the guy played Reuben, he was quite close to the bridge, and it didnā€™t get overly bright. At least thatā€™s how my ear absorbed it.

So overall, it sounds like itā€™s got a great range in terms of moving from the bridge on up.

Wish I was getting one. Unfortunately I told my wife that the last banjo I bought will be the last one Iā€™ll ever need. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: When will she learn?

How much does it weigh?

Wondering how the ā€˜Twangerā€™ stacks up against the so-called ā€˜Good Yearā€™ Gibson Mastertones in sound-quality? Appears to be, but any opinions? Are the tone-rings the same material / size / weight? Maybe I need to visit the store to pick it in person. It has my interest anyway.

I have no idea, but typical to a standard tone ring resonator banjo.

If Robby likes it, it compares to a Gibson. Robby plays a pre-war flathead and is extremely picky. He did not want to like the Twanger. Those hard nose Gibson guys are typically not Gold Tone fans, but after he played the Twanger, he wanted to buy oneā€“and he is.

2 Likes

Coming from Robbie itā€™s a very respectable endorsement!

1 Like

The description of the craftsmanship, materials and sound seem to make this banjo about the best quality / cost ratio Iā€™ve seen yet. If it compares well to the Gibson Tone, I think I would have named it a ā€œGibstoneā€ banjo. :wink:

Instead of ā€œGold Toneā€ on the inlay at the 21st fret, it should have said ā€œTwangerā€, at least for the the first 36 or however many will ultimately be Ben Clark exclusives. I may have to have one made and replace it.

@BanjoBen, @Jake, any thoughts on how easy it would be to take that Gold Tone inlay out and replace it with a Twanger inlay?

Iā€™m anxious to get this in my hands. Iā€™ll be selling my RK-76 Elite I bought last winter to help pay for the Twanger. Itā€™s in really great shape; it was only ever played by a little old lady on the way to church on Sundays. Iā€™ll make someone a great deal, just sayin. Itā€™s the first quality banjo I ever had and I hate to part with it butā€¦ I have my pre-war Gibson now and a Twanger on the way and I have a Gold Tone Plucky and I never thought Iā€™d say this but there may be such a thing as having too many banjos. Wow, did I just say that?

I apparently like saying Twanger, Iā€™ve just said it six times. At jams and stuff and when Iā€™m talking with my many many famous banjo player friends, Iā€™m gonna tell them - Hey, I just bought a Twanger. Psst, Iā€™m the proud owner of one of those new Twangers. Buddy, ya wanna play this Twanger, itā€™ll change your life, man. Iā€™m gonna start a buzz and make some noise, Iā€™ll preach the word and spread the news, about the Twanger. There, now Iā€™ve said it nine times (the first bunch was only five not six).

4 Likes

Some banjos have the model-name on the 21st fret. For example, my trusty Flatiron has the ā€œFlatironā€ in the peghead, but the model ā€œSweetgrassā€ on the 21st fret. Guess itā€™s up to the manufacturerer, but yes. Twanger has a neatā€¦ā€œTwangā€ to it?

2 Likes

Maybe get ā€œTwangerā€ scrolled into the little plastic cover on the peghead. Probably be a lot easier/cheaper? Thatā€™s my plan anyway.

3 Likes

Good Idea, but thatā€™s where ā€œMiss Maggieā€ goes.

4 Likes

@shedrick, that is an interesting idea with custom engraving.

Anybody heard when the Twangers might ship out?

1 Like

Jake was expecting delivery this week. Then he has to set them up and ship them out. Iā€™d imagine itā€™s going to take some time to set up 36 banjos. :slight_smile:

Looking at the picture, it looks like a block inlay, so I would think it could be removed and put whatever you want in there. Now, thatā€™s for somebody that does inlay. Not every shop does that. BUT, I think it is totally doable if you find someone willing. You asked how easy it isā€¦ inlay is a labor intensive work (and it is art as wellā€¦ some folks are just more artsy). All that said, I really like the ā€œTWANGERā€ name and I think it should be celebrated as well.

1 Like

My former banjo teacher is a luthier. He does the inlay work for some big name people that if named you would recognize right away. He does the work that is being asked about. PM me if you are interested and I will give you his contact information.

1 Like

Should these become collectible, I wonder if replacing that inlay would affect the perceived value.

1 Like