Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Turnaround

What is a turnaround when starting a song?

4 Likes

Hi @rehrerjohn welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. The last line of a chorus would served as an intro or turnaround. I am sure Ben has a lesson on this but I can’t find it right now.

6 Likes

Quite often a musical introduction to a song also serves as a turnaround to follow a chorus (which turns things back around to get to the verse). So you might have a couple measures to kick off the song (like Archie said, it might be similar to the last couple measures of the chorus), and then you might repeat that every time you wrap back around to the start of a verse.

5 Likes

I’d never played a turnaround before this winter…
The attached video is 1st time I did one. It’s not an intro but midway into song.
My sons and I were working out a brand new song for church (the next day😬). My son, (banjoson🤣), asked me to do a turnaround not a break. Beginning of video is trying to figure out how to do it, then the song begins, and what I think was a successful turnaround is at around 1:45 ish.

9 Likes

Great Job @Simone you guy’s are sounding good.

You know I used to have an Old English Sheepdog with a fringe just like that

5 Likes

Thanks!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
And, I’ve since chopped off that super annoying fringe!!! (video was from winter this year)

3 Likes

You must admit @Simone the dog looks gorgeous

2 Likes

Well, I just have to tell ya, I think it’s awesome. What is impressive to me is that Banjoson can play AND sing. It’s all I can do to breathe when I am supposed to when I attempt to play.

5 Likes

@Grinnin
Thank you!! :grin:

3 Likes

Isn’t that the truth! I sing while playing guitar, but with banjo it seems like trying to jog while juggling.

6 Likes