Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Trying to put in a railroad spike correctly

Hi, I tried replacing a spike but it was loose so it would move so the whole must’ve been too big. Now I have two holes in the vicinity of the area. What’s the best way to go about this. The spike should be close to the fret, correct? But the best spots are where the existing holes already are. Also how do I avoid the spike from getting loose in the future? I took a picture but I don’t know how to do the cloud sharing thing.

Hi Keith. To upload an image click on the UP arrow (see the RED arrow) of the text editor. Find the path to your image and click upload. If the image is too large you’ll get an error message and you’ll have to scale the image down.

I am sorry I can’t offer any advice on the repairs except to include a link to @jakes presentation.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s the scaling down thing that I don’t know how to do. It’s just a picture of two holes though so I’m not too worried about it.

Hi Keith, You’ll need a photo editing tool. If you don’t have one on your device you can upload the photo to and online app - Search Google - After rescaling save it to your device then Upload as described above.

1 Like

If the holes are too big, you could probably just squirt some watery thin CA glue in the hole.

1 Like

Maybe this’ll help

1 Like

Thanks all. I filled the holes with woodglue then put a spike in but didn’t drill the pilot hole deep enough so it bent. So I pulled it back out and drilled it further (in the same hole). Hopefully it holds, if not, I’ll have to do another.

1 Like

Good luck. That’s a task I’d never attempt myself. I bought RR spikes for my Fender 14 years ago never had the courage to fit them although I did replace all the frets with Stainless Steel ones.

2 Likes

Well, the neck has a crack from years back when someone dropped it that’s been repaired so it’s not like a pristine instrument at this point. Eventually I want to upgrade to something a bit better but for now it still serves me well and I don’t mind doing stuff like this to it.

2 Likes