Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Trying to make an arrangement help

Hi. Im looking for advice on trying to make arrangements. Not really for this song in particular, more for in general. If you have a few minutes, please watch and if you have any advice I’d love to hear it.

2 Likes

Hey Keith, I love that first part you came up with! When you play at speed, it sounds “right.” :+1: I think part of the struggle with thoughts for the next part is that the melody rhythm is so straight-forward. I think maybe playing with the timing and synchopation could add some interest. A lesson that might be handy for inspiration is the unclouded build a break:
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/unclouded-day-build-a-break-banjo?from_track=beginner-banjo

1 Like

My go to is usually to try finding the same lick in a higher octave to add some variation. Most people listening cant tell they just know it sounds different.

Listen to the song and find places where there is no singing like a full measure. (Boom chuck boom chuck.) and add some standard Scruggs filler licks and come back to the melody. For solos try to at least start with the melody to bring the audience ear along, then get experimental. It all sounds good as long as you are playing in the right key and end at the right time.

3 Likes