Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Traveling with mandolin to Smoky Mountains

Hay, y’all
I am taking a trip to the smokys from Florida, I’m taking my Eastman 415BK in my hard plastic crossrock case.
How do y’all suggest I deal with the temp and humidity change?
Should I worry?
I will be driving so no plane issues .

Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

I think your main concern will be the humidity change. I’d recommend taking along a hygrometer to keep in your case and a humidifier or Humidipak to maintain the proper humidity level:

https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/daddario-small-instrument-humidifier

https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/daddario-humidipak-maintain-automatic-humidity-control-system

The Humidipak is a bit more expensive than a standard humidifier, but is more hands-off/less time consuming to use. You’ll probably have to use a different placement of the Humidipak in the mandolin case than in the guitar case, but I think it should work well.

As far a temperature change, as long as you’re not leaving the mandolin in cold temperatures for an extended period of time, you probably won’t have issues. If there’s heat in the place you’re staying and you keep the mandolin properly humidified, you should be golden.

Have a great vacation!

5 Likes

What @Michael_Mark said, plus I tune my mando down at least a 1/2 step, or if you’re stopping and playing every few hours then keep her tuned up. :notes:

3 Likes

Thanks. I will look into these

I suggest that you treat it like a baby… that is a real human baby in terms of temps. If you are pulling into the cracker barrel and it is 45 degrees, take it in with you. If the mandolin stays at comfy human temps, then no special treatment is needed to recover. However if it does get cold soaked, then you want to give it time to slowly come back up to room temperature (which is done in its case). If you take an instrument from real cold to warm quickly, you can get finish checking and/or cracking.

My favorite humidifier is a half of a sponge in a snack size ziplock with holes poked in it. Wet the sponge, wring it out, put it in the baggy and throw it in the case. Lasts a few days and works great.

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t worry about it. Think of all the musicians that take their instruments all over the country without any problems. I’ve never had an issue with mine while traveling, anyway.

5 Likes