Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Topic for Future Lesson

@BanjoBen I would love to see a rhythm hybrid picking lesson in the future with Dennis Parker as a guest. His style works so well with singing, and I think I could use it a lot at church. Just an idea :bulb:

2 Likes

Very good idea and I’ve talked with Dennis about it. The problem is that he doesn’t know what he’s doing, so it’s a lot of work for me to analyze, break it down, then get him to repeat it on camera :wink:

???

esplain please…

I suspect it’s the age old problem that the people who are the best at something are often the worst teachers because it comes so naturally to them that they can’t quantify what or how they do what they do. They just do it.

If that’s the case, that means Ben would have to analyze the playing, break it down, and then teach it. That’s a LOT of work.

1 Like

Yes, there’s a certain class of musicians that simply play what comes out of them, without remembering if they consciously learned what they do. They know what sounds good and what they want to hear, then they make it happen. This can be developed, and all of us have a bit of this in us, but there are some, like Dennis, who do this exclusively. My hope is to tame some of this output and teach it to the rest of us.

4 Likes

I can tell that he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s very obvious that he just closes his eyes and plays what he wants. He is very talented, but like you said hopefully we could suck a little of that out of his brain and plant it in ours. Thanks for considering!

1 Like

I too have mastered the art of not knowing what I am doing. I started out by narrowing my focus of knowledge so that I could become better at specific things. I continued this process until one morning I realized I knew everything about nothing. Unfortunately, that is the extent of what I have mastered which leaves me at the point that I don’t know what I am doing, and I can’t play a lick. So… the advanced playing and musicianship is all that I need help with. Ben, can you help me fill that tiny gap?

5 Likes

Too funny :joy:

1 Like