Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Tommy Huskey from Dayton Tennessee

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
My Dad started me in guitar lessons when I was about 10 and he said, “You’ll thank me later,” and I have, many times!

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
30+ years, I have loved bluegrass music ever since my Dad took me to Dollywood when I was young. The first song I heard was “Fox in the Run”. I really love playing in church and playing with friends, or even better both at the same time!

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
BlackBerry Blossom, Banjo Ben’s arrangement forces you to play two different variations of the melody which really challenges your brain to hand coordination!

What’s your goal when playing?
To play as clean as possible.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I also play mandolin.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
About 2 years (if I remember right).

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I try to mimic Banjo Ben’s right hand picking and rhythm technique. Very clean and carries a lot of that bluegrass punch!

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
It would be to play “What A Friend We Have” with Ben and his Sisters (Purple Hulls)!

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
Real Tortoise picks and Martin FlexCore strings are the perfect combo for me and my D-18!

What do you do for a living?
I have a really cool job as a Nuclear Reactor Operator and get to make electricity for the people of Tennessee.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Martin D-28 Aged Authentic!

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Play guitar and jam with friends!

Anything else you’d like to add?
Ben is probably one of the most gifted music teacher ever. He takes the time to explain things in a way that is super easy to understand and if you ever meet him he’ll make you feel like y’all have been good friends for years!

20 Likes

Hi Tommy, Congrats on being selected Gold Picker of the Week

4 Likes

Welcome Tommy! Congrats on being GPOTW! Hope to see you around the forum!

5 Likes

Hi Tommy. Congratulations. It is good to hear from you. It was my honor to meet you at camp back in March. Fox on the Run was one of the old favorites 30 years ago. I still like playing it.

7 Likes

Great picture Tommy!

5 Likes

Congrats Tommy. Yes, great pic. I certainly hope to get to one of those banjo camps one of these days!!!

5 Likes

You won’t regret it!!

4 Likes

Good to hear from you!

4 Likes

Thanks!!

3 Likes

And in reference to your occupation… remember, it’s NOT safety first!! The turbine trips first, then the safeties lift :roll_eyes: Power station phrase, been in that business 31 years…

4 Likes

Lol, you’re right. We try to be as safe as we can, and accidents are super rare, well at least in our country. Where have you worked?

3 Likes

Congrats, Tommy. I look forward to seeing you in March if you’re able to hang out at Camp for a little.

5 Likes

WOW, sorry so long, don’t know how I missed this…

Yes, the accident rate is pretty low here in the US.
I worked in the IPP field for about 29 years, and have been with a large utility on the middle eastern US for the past 3 years.

2 Likes

Nukes playing bluegrasss! Don’t get no better than that!

2 Likes