Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

To "C" or not to "C"?

Like most new beginners, the dreaded “C” chord (full chord not partial) development lingers as a never ending
nightmare. My current version of this consists of performing a smooth transfer into this chord (e.g. G to C).
I’m typically able to get an acceptable, clean sounding C chord IF I pause before transfer. I’ve been working on this via Ben’s advice and things are ever so slooooooooooowly improving. No problem with partial C.
My question is this. In the Beginner Lesson track for rolls, etc., the C chord is frequently used to expand on the particular lesson. To what extent should I continue with the lesson given the C chord situation ?
Particularly with the rolls??

1 Like

Welcome to the first of many frustrations coming your way. That’s why Rule #1 is “Have fun!”
The best analogy I’ve heard compares learning the banjo with learning to speak. It takes a while to teach your lips how to form the right sounds in coordination with your breathing.
Now you want your brain to tell your fingers to move to a specific spot (C chord) at a specific time. Generally the fingers are willing, but very forgetful. They can never remember how they did it last time, so you have to tell them again and again and again and again. Don’t let them frustrate you! It’s a trick! They want you to think you are not making progress, but you are. Like a snowball rolling downhill, it takes a while to really get moving, but it happens.
For me, the full F chord was a shape I was convinced was beyond my ability. My old fingers were simply too old. They lacked the flexibility to do it. But I really liked the sound of going from a C to F, or F to C. Instead of playing rolls, I would simply do pinches or thumb-pinch an easy rhythm while trying to move from C to F. It’s a great sound and getting it right feels real good on the ears. Since I wasn’t worrying about rolls, I could relax and work on making clean chords. Tempo was not a factor. It sounds great slow…and it’s fun!
As I became more comfortable moving from chord to chord, I began to add the rolls. It was much easier and far less frustrating. And it sounded even better!
Finally, I paused and gave thanks I was not a jazz guitarist.

com-image

3 Likes

Keep rolling! (pun AND double entendre intended). It comes with time and reps.

If you have any questions about your form or technique, post a short video of your fretting hand from a few angles just to make sure there is nothing mechanical holding you back.

3 Likes

Hi Steve Post a video let @BanjoBen take a look and see what your doing. I am sure he can help.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. Good to know at one point you shared exactly what I’m currently experiencing.
I do plan to keep at it and hopefully one day I’ll be able to attest to the “stick with it and it’ll happen” theorists .
Will also comply with the “HAVE FUN” most of all rule.
Thanks again. :crossed_fingers::+1:

1 Like