Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

To Austin I go

They were pretty tasty. It was kind of like a golden oreo with a sweet lime creme with a little hatch in there. It tastes a bit like a bold key lime pie.

1 Like

Hope it’s ok to bring back an old thread, but I am going to Austin for a work conference next week. It’s only my second time to visit Texas and the first was just driving across Texas when I moved from Alabama to Oregon about 15 years ago. My wife is coming, too, and kids are staying with grandparents. :slight_smile: here are the bbq/ Tex mex recommendations I have dug up so far
Valentina’s (must be good if it’s been featured in a lesson)
Distant relatives
Matt’s El rancho
La barbecue

Any other recommendations on places to check out?

1 Like

The Salt Lick is good but it’s a little ways out of Austin (Driftwood), I’ve eaten there a few times. I’ve also tried Stubb’s BBQ in Austin but they were only doing a Sunday Brunch Buffet so I can’t really remember anything specifics other that I was stuffed when I left.

2 Likes

How serious are you about this? lol. Remember that many of the best BBQ places aren’t open on Mon-Tues so plan accordingly.

Here are my MUST HAVES if I was in Austin a couple days after BBQ:
Valentina’s for breakfast…get the Real Deal Holyfield
Leroy & Lewis…get the beef cheek and everything else. They’re located in a really cool setting, biergarten, etc.
La BBQ is supposed to be the cat’s meow recently…I’d have to go there.
If you want the best of traditional Texas bbq, take a short drive down to Lockhart and eat Kreuz Market (pronounced Krites)

And if you really want to dig into this, let me know and I’ll call you and we’ll talk. This has easy potential to be a life-changing trip for you and your wife. You need to make up your mind how much you really want your life to change.

1 Like

I’d keep going but this is enough to send y’all to the moon and back a couple times. The first 3 I mentioned are more craft BBQ with modern flair mixed with other food genres. Kreuz is what you would have found in Texas 50 years ago and before. It’s almost two different BBQ genres now and Valentina’s could be one of its own. My goodness you’re in for a treat.

1 Like

Thanks, @BanjoBen! These recommendations are just what I was looking for! If barbecue can change my life, I’m all for that.

And when your done BBQing you’ll be a picture of health just like me!

2 Likes

I like Ironworks BBQ which is next to the convention center.

Some previously posted Salt Lick which is the Disneyland of BBQ, but it’s a drive out of town for sure.

Not BBQ but of interest is the Broken Spoke, if you’re looking for music and food together.

2 Likes
2 Likes