Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

To Austin I go

Nope. Mine’s the smallest Cabinet Smoker they make. It’s called the PeeWee. It weighs about 500 lbs. I had the mini Cabinet Smoker. It weighs over 750 lbs. it was to much for me to handle and move around where I live, so I gave to son in law…

1 Like

The man, the myth, the legend. No idea which is which. :laughing:

Had some great Tex Mex BBQ fusion food at Valentina’s today.

6 Likes

Oh he is so sweet! Look at the innocent look on his face! And a sense of security from the two smileys guarding him!

1 Like

Did you do any pickin @BanjoBen & @Mark_Rocka and I don’t mean chickens if so where are the vids? Not everyone does Instagram or the Twitter thingy… You Texan boys have a nice day :cowboy_hat_face:

texas-animated-flag-1

2 Likes

Sadly, there was no time for picking. My wife and I had an event to get to. It was great to hang out and eat good food, though. I’m usually disappointed with fusion food. My experience has been that something gets lost from both sides. I love Tex Mex and BBQ, so I was really worried about this place, but this was the first time I’ve experienced a food that represented all of the flavors in a perfect mixture.

I highly recommend Valentina’s to anyone traveling to our state capital. There’s a reason the line was so long. It was worth the wait.

2 Likes

I kind of live a fusion food existence. Ferinstance, Friday I grilled some tri-tip, teryaki chicken and andoulle sausage (with red beans and rice). The next day (and likely tonight), I’ll be making tacos with various combinations. My only regret was that I didn’t have time to make the mac and cheese to go on the tacos :crazy_face:

Thanks for the recommendation on Valentina’s! If you are ever south of Fort Worth, Del Norte in Godley is a good place. The chef (Chris) probably doesn’t consider it “fusion”, but it’s just what he likes. It’s a pretty tasty place.

1 Like

We had some mighty nice food, but our favorite by consensus was Valentina’s Tex Mex. As Mark said, I wasn’t expecting them to nail both the Tex AND the Mex, but they did. For breakfast I got their Real Deal Holyfield, which is a homemade flour tortilla with refried beans, potatoes, fried egg, homemade tomatillo salsa, and a slice of the most delicious brisket I had the entire trip (yes, including Franklin).

@Mike_R, you simply have to go there. I went back in the evening with @Mark_Rocka and I got a brisket taco and taco al pastor. The pastor was the best pastor I’ve ever had and I consider myself half-Mexican because of all the pastor I’ve searched out and devoured.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll put Valentina’s on the agenda. It’s a good day when I can combine work with good food!

BTW, did you weigh before and after the trip?

2 Likes

I didn’t, but a friend on the trip did and he put on 7 pounds. I think he had one more serving of banana pudding than me, however.

4 Likes

Time for a quick workout

1 Like

I ate at Valentina’s with some friends this morning. Their brisket was top notch. The chorizo was excellent as well. Killer tortillas, good salsa. It was as advertised, very, very good. I will return again. I’ll be back down that general direction when things cool off as Texas now has a lift-served bike park (who would have guessed that!) It’s probably an hour away (Burnett), but Valentina’s is worth a drive. For any Texicans who might be curious, yes, I stopped at Czech Stop on my way home.

2 Likes

What’s that?

A downhill off road bike park where instead of riding your bike (earning) to the top, there is a lift that takes you and your bike up there. I think they originally started doing this at ski resorts during the off season. It is pretty surprising (and exciting) to have one here in TX. The “mountain” is 350 feet of vertical. It doesn’t sound like much compared to the big parks (some of which approach 5000 of vertical), but in reality, I expect it to be quite enjoyable.

Here’s a link:

2 Likes

I enjoy BBQ as much as the next guy… Especially spicy Texas… but 7 lbs in a weekend? :astonished:

Now that is puttin’ some BBQ away… YIKES!

LUCKY FELLER

1 Like

Oh that’s really cool. I have an awesome mountain bike, but no trails around here, and I’ve always wanted to ride some real mountain bike trails.

If you make your way to the Fort Worth area (I do realize that it isn’t currently walking distance), I’d be happy to bike with you. If you get here without your bike, we can get you set up with one as well.

1 Like

Cool, we usually don’t travel much in the states, but we do occasionally make it to fort worth cuz one of my mom’s best friends lives there

1 Like

Since we were talking food here… I got a bunch of hatch chiles… gonna make some hatch stuff tomorrow :grinning: Hatch chicken, hatch scalloped potatoes with hatch sausage, hatch avocado salsa, hatch squash with hatch bacon… I had lime/hatch cookies tonight as a “preview”

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::flushed::thinking: