Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Time to humidify

How about them apples indeed!
Another thing that can help: When you take a shower, donā€™t turn on the exhaust fan. I usually see a bump of about 5% on that end of the house when I do that.

I had my D18 GE sitting out of itā€™s case at the end of the house away from the humidifier for a few days (I think it was 3). Humidity was reading around 35 in that room. This is similar conditions where I had left other guitars sitting out for several days with no noticeable effect. However, on the GE, itā€™s top had dropped enough to where the belly was about even with the edges of the guitar. That is to say, a straight edge place just below the bridge did not rock. I have since kept it on the more humid end of the house and kept the case humidification going. After three or four days, there is a bit of belly, but itā€™s not quite back up where I like it. Why did that guitar sink in the same conditions that didnā€™t affect others similarly? I donā€™t know. Maybe adirondack is more prone to shrinking. Maybe my other guitars are already drier. Regardless, I figured Iā€™d post that not all guitars react to humidity the same way.

As a side note, the GE sounded really good with it dried out like that. Maybe they sound best a bit drier than ā€œideal.ā€

Thatā€™s interesting.

It could be the lighter bracing or the position of the bracing being an inch below the soundhole ( I think thatā€™s correct on a Golden Era). That would cause the bridge area to be weaker giving the string tension more leverage against the bridge. But after I read what I just wrote, I would think that would cause it to belly more. Maybe it is the Adirondack. I dunno, Iā€™m glad you caught it before it got worse.

Did you get any string buzz? That would lower the action some I would think.

My house is so dry, Iā€™ll play one for awhile and put it back in itā€™s case and get another one out and play it. That keeps them in the humidification and not be exposed too long. It seems to be working, I havenā€™t seen any noticable changes in them all winter and this has been a rough one.

J.W.

It did lower the action a bit. The strings were approaching getting buzzy, but not enough to where it bothered me. I measured the action today (after the top had come back up a bit), and the difference at the 12th fret wasnā€™t really measurable to my eye. Anyway, it played and sounded wonderful, but it was headed in a structurally bad direction.

As far as the effect of the bracing position, that could well be the culprit and I didnā€™t think of that. It does seem kind of counter-intuitive that as it dries, it sunk. The way I think of it is that the top (and bracing) pull back tighter as they shrink (which in turn creates more opposition to the string tension thereby reducing belly). Hey, I just had a great idea. If I dry out my back, will that give me six pack abs?

My head now hurts from reading this thread.

There was some sort of ADD-yet-staying-on-topic ju-ju going on that is perplexing me as Iā€™m not even sure itā€™s plausible.

I hear ya! I canā€™t even enjoy an apple anymore. Always wanting to save halfā€¦. John

I took a half an apple away from my 3-year old last night and put it in my banjo case. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a more confused look on her face.

Hey guys and gals, get the case humidifiers going, steal a half an apple from your confused toddlers and fill up the humidifiers. The airmass moving across the US is one of the driest of the winter (and weā€™ve had quite a few dry ones this season). At a jam tonight we noticed a small neck block crack on a friendā€™s gorgeous bearclaw top :cry:

Itā€™s time for my regularly scheduled humidity warning. I got my humidifier fired up for the first time since spring. The latest front dropped it quite a bit.

Yep, put new filters in mine and have it on standby! Fired up the heater and started burning wood a couple of weeks ago.

Got all my sponges ready to go! It was 70 and sunny on Tuesday. Supposed to be a high of 40 on Friday and possible snow on Sunday.

If everything goes as planned the next couple days, I may need to buy one more sponge. GAS is a terrible thing. :smiley:

Whatcha getting Shawn?

Maybe he/she could throw in a sponge into the deal? :smiley:

Iā€™m supposed to meet Buck (Todd from UMGF) Saturday to buy his '06 D18A. I just canā€™t hold off on these any longer. :slight_smile:

I have looked at that one on buy/sell a few times. Looks about perfect. I hope you dig it!

Thanks Mike. Iā€™m pretty excited! This will be the first one Iā€™ve played.

Hey Shawnā€¦ To paraphrase an old ā€œBoyā€™s Lifeā€ joke:
How do you keep a turkey in suspense? Tell us forum members you are going to look at a D18A and then donā€™t post for a few days :smiley:

Yeah Shawn, whatā€™s up with that anyway. We ā€œturkeysā€ would like to know the rest of the story!

J.W.

Sorry about that guys! :laughing:

I brought her home with me! Iā€™ve been playing the crap out of it the last two days. Itā€™s sounds pretty darn good although it feels a little stiff like my D28 did when it was new. Even though it is 8 years old I donā€™t think itā€™s been played a lot, or at least not played with a heavy right hand. When I play it pretty hard for over an hour, I can feel it starting to come alive and developing a whole other level of sound/tone. Iā€™m guessing it has a pretty stiff piece of Adi as itā€™s pretty tight and even grained. Sounds great capoed, just rings like a bell. It has some fairly new strings on it so I still hear alot of ā€œnew string zingā€ so itā€™s hard to really hear the guitars real tone.

This guitar has a lot of hype to live up to in my mind and Iā€™m not going to give it a pass on rep alone. I am totally happy with it as it is, but I just know it has more to give, I can feel/hear it at times. Only time will tell.

Getting a picture togetherā€¦

Sorry if these are too big.

http://s596.photobucket.com/user/90RCnTN/media/IMG_0447_1_zpsc48a3a0f.jpg.htmlhttp://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/90RCnTN/IMG_0447_1_zpsc48a3a0f.jpg

http://s596.photobucket.com/user/90RCnTN/media/IMG_0454_1_zpsdccaf4b4.jpg.htmlhttp://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/90RCnTN/IMG_0454_1_zpsdccaf4b4.jpg

http://s596.photobucket.com/user/90RCnTN/media/IMG_0448_1_zpsfc1d6b4c.jpg.htmlhttp://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/90RCnTN/IMG_0448_1_zpsfc1d6b4c.jpg

Simple (in a good way) and gorgeous!