Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Tim Miller from Sparks, Nevada!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Rock and Roll. The Beatles :). My wife likes to challenge me and bought me a banjo many years ago. Then a Mandolin a couple years ago and I love playing it.

About 6 years ago I moved to the Reno, NV area and would attend a bluegrass weekly concert at my dad’s senior living center. I thought if I learn some bluegrass I can improve my guitar picking. I joined the Northern Nevada Bluegrass Association and attend the twice a month jam sessions.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I took a guitar class when I was in 4th grade. Played on and off over the years. I love learning new things and currently am teaching myself some music theory and that helps me just jam out to a tune using scales and such.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
All of them :). I think my favorite is the one where at the very end he says something like “Time to eat, suckers” just before he turns off the camera. Challenge for everyone to go find it, lol. Currently I love the Wayfaring Stranger for the Mandolin and am working on it.

What’s your goal when playing?
To have fun and enjoy playing.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I love to try anything. Classic Rock, folk music, some heavy metal.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I have found that knowing scales helps with playing and jamming.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Billy Strings! He is such an awesome player/picker.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
New Strings, lol. Gotta replace them every so often!

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Dobro is my next dream instrument to learn so I would get one. I would get a high end Guitar, Mandolin and Banjo.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Keep learning instruments and music theory.

16 Likes

Great discussion Tim. I go to the bi-weekly jams in Reno too. I am sure we have crossed paths.

5 Likes

Congrats on being the Gold Picker of the Week, Tim!

4 Likes

Congratulations Tim on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member

4 Likes

Congratulations on being selected as the gold pick member of the week! i admire your motivation.

2 Likes

Congrats on GOotW!

I enjoyed reading your profile and appreciate the Billy Strings reference!

Dobro IS sooooo cool.

3 Likes

Congrats and welcome Tim!! I hope to see you around the forum!

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for the congrats. I do participate in the forums, just not as often as I could, so I need to up my game there.

I need to get started learning those songs for the Camp, I look forward to it the second week in July!

6 Likes

Congrats on being the gpotw, Tim! Thanks for taking part in the forum and the Cabin Camp. I’m sure you will have a good time.

3 Likes

Enjoyed reading it Tim! Hope to pick with ya sometime.

3 Likes

I have to admit the most fun I had last year was playing/sharing the lead guitar parts to sweet child o’ mine with our fiddle player and me on the mandolin in a group I was in.

2 Likes

Ok! Now you opened that can o worms! Where’s the vid??? I would love to see that performence Tim ! Please. And congrats on the GPOTW! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

ok, it ain’t perfect, only second time playing it in front of folks, but here is the band I was in for a few months last year and this should take you right to where the song starts: https://youtu.be/n4gCCRPAiho?t=1571

3 Likes

That was Awsome! not perfect but very interesting none the less, I enjoyed the whole thing . Thank you for the responce and the video. That was not an easy song to convert to a Bluegrass Band I’me sure and you and the band pulled it off! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

We had a blast putting it together. I actually bought the sheet music to figure out all the notes to play and that helped. I can’t read music fast, but I can read it and study it. That recording is from playing at my church and we opened with Friend of the Devil and closed with Amazing Grace. It was such a blast. I hope to be in a band again after this shut down is all over.

3 Likes

Love the GD I bet that one was a goodone too, Good luck with finding a new group! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ditto @jon1 !!

2 Likes

Nice picking! Only 2nd time playing that in front of folks, wow!! :+1:t2:

3 Likes