Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Thumb pick band to make your own thumb pick

I love my bluechip thumb pick for playing banjo and very happy to share that fact with anyone, at the same time calling it THE BEST INVESTMENT ever and obtesting that I will NEVER switch to anything else. So a friend, who also makes guitar picks and is always looking for new projects, perceived it as a challenge and now wants to make me a better-than-BC thumb pick. Although this is not gonna happen, I’m kinda intrigued to see what he can do, but I have to provide the metal band (to attach the pick) to him.

Anyone an idea where you could buy these metal bands or should I better get a cheap thumbpick with a metal band (like Propik) that I can demount for this project?

4 Likes

Hey Jacqueline! Welcome to the board!

I’ve personally never seen thumb pick bands without the pick part available for sale, but then I’ve never been looking for one, either. Personally, I’d find an all metal thumb pick that you think is comfortable, and then grind down the pick part so that the metal looks similar to the shape of the metal part of your BlueChip. Then drill a couple of holes for the rivets and see what kind of magic your friend can make.

Keep us posted. I’m also intrigued. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried a Full Metal pick when I first started learning to play banjo. I found it too ridged and the clicking sound drove me nuts. I have since tried all manner of plastic picks and settled with the Jim Dunlop Clear Plastic thumb pic. I like my Blue Chip JD pick but I prefer the clear plastic pick.

Not sure what type of metal is employed on the Blue Chip, it certainly seems to have similar qualities to Stainless Steel and Spring Steel both these types of steel are highly refined and expensive to manufacture and that might be the reason the BC has such a high price tag.

I use ProPick Stainless Steel angled finger picks. Again after much trial and error (and physical pain) of other brands and styles I finally settled on these.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Yes, I think that’s what I’m going to do.
Will post an update on the project here, but it seems I’ll only be back in the US in September so it’ll take a while. Bear with me :slight_smile:!!

3 Likes

I tried 2 different size BC thumb picks but they didn’t work for me, so ended up back with my cheap Fred Kelly. :wink: intrigued by this DIY pick.

Did this project ever get completed?

Like Jono, I’m curious to know where the went…

Also, I found this online and was curious to know if anyone has tried it.

2 Likes

I just got one of those with my dobro, but I couldn’t figure out exactly how to put it together, and it requires some cutting which I was both too timid and too lazy to do

In the video he says the strap is infinitely adjustable. INFINITELY. Wow.

3 Likes

As an Engineer, I have infinite problems with a description of “Infinite” adjustment on this step-adjustment thumbpick. But alas… I should not “pick” on his description…… :wink:

4 Likes

I LOVE the Saddle pick for its COMFORT. The material is flexible and conforms to your thumb very nicely. The felt pad on the top makes it even better. My complaint, however, is that the material it is made from (the string contact area) does NOT make good contact with the strings - it is too “soft” (like a semi-rigid plastic). I MUCH prefer a harder plastic such as that in a National or the Blue Chip.

So, what did I do? Well, I cut the tip off of a National Large and epoxy glued it onto the string contact area of the Saddle pick, after some cutting and shaping with a Dremel moto-tool. Once the epoxy had set, I did some more shaping and sanding with the moto-tool, until I had the size/length that I was comfortable with.

Now, I bought the Saddle pick from a vendor at Bean Blossom (bluegrass festival in southern Indiana) a few years ago, but have not seen that vendor since. (I’m guessing maybe I can find them online?) If I run into the vendor again, I will see if they have thought about making the string contact area from a much harder material.

Anyway, I am getting so tired of bending and shaping metal, or heating plastic in hot water and then shaping it, just to get a pick that fits my thumb comfortably. And don’t get me started on those times where my thumb swells because of water, or heat/humidity, or whatever.

Anyway, love the Saddle pick, most comfortable one I have found - just need a better string contact area.

Oh, and as for setup - it’s not hard at all. You just pull the strap until the pick fits your thumb, just like a zip tie. After getting it to the proper size, you simply cut off the excess strap length. It’s not “infinitely” adjustable, obviously - I think what the advertiser/vendor meant is that it will adjust to pretty much any thumb size, because there is plenty of strap available in the purchased product. Because of the felt pad under the top of the strap, it will situate itself nicely as your thumb expands/contracts with temperature and water-weight variations.

1 Like