Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Thoughts on reading standard notation

I recently got serious about learning mandolin and started working through the beginner lessons, but I also started trying to learn to read standard music notation. As a kid I was forced to take organ lessons, so I already know what the notes on the staff are, quarter notes, whole notes, etc…but applying them to the mandolin finger board is new to learn. It seems that this would be a valuable skill because you could pick up any sheet music, like a fake book or violin music and play the melody on mandolin.
I never put much effort into this on banjo or guitar. I’m curious how many of you mandolin players read standard notation and if so, how you use it in your playing and practice. I know the goal is to be free of tab and sheet music and play by ear, but it seems like a good skill to possess. Do you think it’s worth the effort?

I think it’s a good skill, but not useful for most pickers. It’s helpful to read the fiddle fakebook, for sure, so if that’s what you want to do, go ahead! I don’t find myself using that skill even though I can do it, but that’s just my rhythm.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply sir, I think I will continue to work on it, but not make it a primary focus.