Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

This Little Light of Mine

Hello,

Any chance of a banjo lesson for This Little Light of Mine, key of G, that is not too difficult? I think it’s now public domain, but not certain. My band is playing it September 29, and I’d like to play banjo on it.

Thank You,

Jack

1 Like

Hi @Treblemaker Jack, @BanjoBen is heading out to Montana for the Cabin Camp and some vacation time right about now so it is unlikely that he’ll be able to meet your request in time for your deadline. Suggest you try one of these lessons on YouTube

I quite like the Brainjo Arrangement

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=this+little+light+of+mine+banjo

Do Lord uses the same chord progression so you should also check out these.

I like Jim Pankey’s version.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=do+lord+banjo

Hope this is of some help

4 Likes

Apprecaite your help Archie. Will definitely check that out. Ty.

1 Like

You’re very welcome Jack.

Just to add “I Saw the Light” also uses the same chord progression. Hank Williams was inspired to write the song while returning from a concert by a remark his mother made while they were arriving in Montgomery, Alabama. See Wiki for more on the story. That was back in the 1940’s and I guess it is still in copyright. @BanjoBen did have an advanced banjo lesson “I Saw the Light” on the old website but on advisement from his lawyer removed all copyright lessons from the current website to safeguard his livelihood.

2 Likes

ty.

Could you tell me which chords y’all are using? There are a couple alternate chords that folks like to throw in that would affect the solo.

1 Like

Thank you Ben.

Our plan is to start in G. Chords are G, C, and D.

Halfway through, we want to Switch to C. Chords are C, F, and G. Would like to have a way to modulate into the C. We want it to be similar to Marty Stuarts version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RZ-IjzkUss

Are you able to pick up any of Charlie’s banjo break in that video?

Yes, I could with the tabs, and a good deal of practice. Sorry for the delayed response. Just saw this.

Thank you.

Jack

Ok, I’ll try to help you after I get back from Montana, but you should work on figuring it out by ear until then. Keep in mind that they’re using other chords than just the 1/4/5.

If you haven’t used the slow play feature in YouTube, be sure and do that. You can slow it down to 25% of speed.

1 Like

Great idea Ben. I definitely will. Spent an hour this afternoon going over your rolls videos.

Thank you.

1 Like

Here’s what I figure for the chords…

G5 G Em C Em C G5
G5 G Em (G6sus2) G Em Am C D7 G5

Appreciate that John. Still working on it. What is G5? An octave above the middle C4 octave? G chord with a D note on top?

1 Like

Hi Jack,

As you know a chord is formed from 2 or more notes. A (major or minor) triad is formed using 3 notes - root, major/minor 3rd and perfect 5th. Now, if you leave out the 3rd, such a variant is a “5” chord.

For example, G major triad has G, B and D notes. If you leave out the B note, and use the rest, it is G5.

G vs G5.

Haven’t you seen Ben mute the 5th string when he plays the G chord? That is, G5!

Sometimes it sounds better and makes you look more pro when you use the variants. I’m sure you could figure out the Banjo equivalent, as I have no clue with Banjo. :frowning:

Got it John…ty.

1 Like

I got absolutely buried in work and wasn’t able to help you here–I’m sorry.

Do you still need help? If so, @Michael_Mark should be able to lend some…I’m traveling again this week to the General Store.

2 Likes

All good Ben. I know you’re always very busy. I found something that I think will work well. I’ll refer to Mark if I find I’m struggling. Thank you again.