Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

This Land is Your Land (key of E.). Lesson Request

I play this in my band ad at campfires but never know what to do during a break. It’s so frustrating. Considered buying a long neck banjo but every time I see one they have a capo at the third fret to play out G position LOL. There has to be a way to play this out of a D shape and capo up to E right?

Any advise or Tabs would be appreciated.

3 Likes

The easiest way would be to capo 2 and play out of D, or capo 4 and play in C. What I would recommend is to sit down with the banjo, and pick out just the basic melody out of both positions. For this song, it might be easier in C position. (Make sure to check out the Waypoints in C lesson too! It’s great for getting different positions under your fingers.) After you get the basic melody under you fingers, try adding basic rolls and slides, hammers, etc. into the melody notes. Finally, add some licks for some extra polish.

Alternatively, you can try tuning your banjo all the way down to open E like a long-necked banjo. Depending on your banjo and setup, this might cause issues with buzzes and such. However, the most versatile option is to learn both D position and C position.

3 Likes

Hi Cameron I have a feeling that tune is still in copyright that being the case @BanjoBen won’t be doing a lesson anytime soon. There are several TAB arrangements over on the Banjo Hangout might be worth checking them out. If you feel the need to buy another banjo just to play tunes in the Key of E and can’t find a long neck one available. Just buy a regular banjo tune it down…

That’s all I did for this Casey Henry Murphy Method arrangement of Gumtree Canoe.

5 Likes

Hey @camclark04, would this progressionn fit?
I listened to the song just now, not sure I got the right version but this would be my basic approach to play in E major, I started with the EMajor Bar Chord shape first ( Progression E-A-E-B-E) (E Major in bar chord shape / A and B in D chord shape ) than moved on to E Major in the D position and ended with the deepest Emajor (F shape last)

It is just an idea - 5th string tuned to B, all the other strings standard tuning. I like the idea of avoiding the capo when I can, I feel like there’s more options to choose from

5 Likes

I haven’t thought of that song in ages! Thanks, Archie for bringing back many memories!

3 Likes

@Michael_Mark suggestion is probably the best set up if you want to play open string licks and capo in A will only cut away 2 frets.

1 Like

Hi @BanJoe Casey teaches the down the neck break in G. it’s fairly easy and a fun tune to learn. Here is a clip of her custom lesson if you slow down the video you could probably figure out most of what she is playing
The tune has a little bounce to it and you may need to listen to it a few times through to get a feel for the rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97wbDwHdlQ

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll take a crack at it.

3 Likes

Very nice! :slight_smile:

1 Like