Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Worst Banjo Ever!

OK, we all love to talk about the wonderful new banjo we bought, but the truth is most of us are playing crappy banjos. (Not me. I recently acquired a Deering Sierra Maple!)
But I spent decades with a crappy banjo…And I kept reading banjo reviews. After a while it seemed all banjo were great, because not one reviewer ever said, "Well here’s a piece of junk!
Surprise! Here’s a review of a crappy banjo!
(Full Disclosure- the review comes from a clawhammer instructor, so he does have a bit of a bias.)

9 Likes

That is a really cool review and he did make it sound great. I have always believed tone and musicality is 99% in the player’s hand

I saw a busker yesterday playing awesome drum solos on plastic cans and metal tins. It sounded awesome on the crappiest ever drum set

3 Likes

I am in agreement Frank much is in the delivery and candour / sincerity of the performance. I have seen street entertainers with 50 dollar guitars, worn strings and cheap picks :wink: playing out of their skins

4 Likes

Imagine how spectacular it woudl sound with a $40 pick! :scream::roll_eyes::smile:

3 Likes

At first I thought my banjo was getting ratted out. :laughing: but then I can concur with Frank’s comment that most of quality sound comes from the musician’s mind and hands. Pity that this is not the case with my banjo.

5 Likes

DITO!!! ALL. Has anybody seen the one string geetar player??? His instrument looks like he found it at the local dump and yes Only one string but man he play’s the heck out of it and it dose sound very unique and very cool!!! Just sayin I love a crappy instrument!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

All banjos are filled with songs.
Some banjos are simply more reluctant to release them than others.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Would you be happen to be talking about Igor :grin:

3 Likes

Fortunately I am not letting the price of the picks bother me:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

NO But that was very cool , the guy I saw was like in slums of Jamaica or some place like it. i would try to find the youtube vid but I aint to good at this interweb stuff and dont know how to post other things from other places. Sorry But thanks for sharing Igor. I Loved it!!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes