Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Story of The Wreck of the Old 97

13 Likes

@Archie Thanks for posting this. I have spent a lot of time this week with the song and this has totally brought some new life to it!

6 Likes

Thank you Archie for the history lesson, I dig that kinda stuff, all those old stories need to be passed on or they’ll be gone! ( unfortunately)

5 Likes

Interesting video, @Archie. Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

thank_you Y’all

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this @Archie.

I really appreciate “storytelling” songs.

Being from the Great Lake State, many have a deep and sacred respect for one of the greatest Storytelling songs ever - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

For context, Chippewas were/are a native American Tribe from this region.

I expect you have heard this one @Archie. This video has the lyrics… and I really hope some of the younger Forum members take a moment to appreciate these great storytelling folk songs - like that other one you shared from that song from the Corries we discussed.

Enjoy… and note: You will have to watch it directly on YouTube - but it is well with it.

The line about the lake not “giving up her dead” is a reference from the fact that the water is soooo cold, the dead bodies cannot float… and this is the meaning behind this line - as I have read.

Oh… One more thing… great songs like these… I always wonder how a solid melody line like this could be “adapted” to a bluegrass arrangement.

7 Likes

That song sad as it is brought back many happy memories from my army days. It was featured regularly at our army barracks folk club in Herford Germany.

6 Likes

@Archie My grandmother was born in 1892. I remember her singing The Wreck of Old 97 when I was no older than 5 or 6 years old. In the video I think the narrative said 6 million recordings made.

6 Likes

Hi Jeffery these old tunes do spur memories from the past.

3 Likes

Speaking of songs that tell stories, I enjoy playing rhythm guitar to this one. Also thanks Archie for video :+1:

5 Likes