Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: What are you listening to?

Oh ok, I thought they moved over the tickets from the cancelled March festival so that’s why I asked. We’ll be there in a few days.

3 Likes

Well Landmark is a big collaboration too, Jake’s name is just on it :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah but it’s Landmark by Jake Workman, like Native American by Tony Rice. The other ones are by Driven which is a band he was a member of, and then a duo album with his wife and a backing band. Technically all albums with more than one person are a collaborative effort

2 Likes

I correct you on your Jake Workman facts. Rocky Mountain Hideaway is his first solo project (2011).

4 Likes

Sorry, I forgot. (Or perhaps never knew)

5 Likes

I’m assuming that album is out of production? Though I’m sure you’ve managed to collect a copy somehow… :joy:

2 Likes

It used to be for sale on his website. Since he put out Landmark, it’s not anymore. He gave me a copy when I was at his house in 2020. It’s gotten cracked on my desk. :joy:

4 Likes

Ah. Guess that’s one for the collector’s stash.

I like the super simple quote from Clay Hess :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve heard quotes from Tony Rice saying he thought it was most important to first focus on the basic elements of tuning, timing, and intonation. I always wondered what he meant by “intonation” on the guitar. It can’t just be bends, if it’s something as crucial as timing and tuning. And the guitar isn’t thought of like the violin in terms of learning intonation… I wonder if he really meant learning to be in such a state of contact with the instrument that you intuitively know how much pressure is too much and will make you sound out of tune. After all, you wouldn’t think that many-times-wrecked '35 guitar could have perfect intonation up the neck.

well, now i know what he was talking about

2 Likes

Someone in Marcel’s discord made a little chart describing pick angles by pitch, roll, and yaw. Was wondering about y’all’s pick grip idiosyncrasies and the finer aspects of how you might think they affect your playing.

I tried to capture my pick angle from the top down but it’s hard to tell much besides the yaw from that angle. Looks like I angle my pick back just a tiny bit sometimes. My roll angle tends to change based on whether I’m playing the top or bottom strings. For certain licks my wrist comes closer to the bridge which could change the pitch angle.

(pardon my being out of tune :joy:)
4 Likes

Make perfect sense!

It is continuous improvement process, and you unconsciously self-correct and tend to achieve (0,0,0) for the roll, pitch, yaw as you progress. But it is good to know beforehand that’s what you should do!

Another dimension could be the grip. Close to 0 but good enough to not to lose. Since you can’t achieve a 0 yaw, the close to 0 grip allows the pick to slide between the strings by itself (unless cross picking) in an angle. though you would move your hand position to achieve a 0-degree pitch parallel to the following note string.

All that said, your speed is super impressive!

Thought I’d start a new discussion! Anyone reading any good books lately?

I just finished Ray Comfort’s The Final Curtain. It’s an excellent book about how even the biggest stars and musical celebrities struggle with depression and many have committed suicide. Fame doesn’t bring happiness. I highly recommend it.

Now I’m currently in the middle of 3 more books. (Plus writing one!) I know, sometimes I spread myself thin, like with music practice. :laughing: I like having a few different books to pick up when I go to read. One is The Lights of Marfa by Doyle Dykes. Anybody else read this? He is one of the most talented guitarists with a strong Christian message and some unbelievable stories!

3 Likes

I’m reading (listening actually) Peace Child by Don Richardson. Fascinating story of his ministry to the primitive Sawi people.

3 Likes

Ooh!

3 Likes

That looks like a great book. Added it to my Amazon wishlist. I’ve always been fascinated by missionary stories. A couple months ago I read the new book Kidnapped in Haiti by Katrina Hoover Lee. I’m sure everyone knew about that situation of the kidnapped missionaries in Haiti. It made headline news and I prayed for them every day during those 2 months last year. It’s like a modern day Acts 12 story. Pretty incredible. The book is really good too if you want to see the “inside story.”

5 Likes

Pretty sure there’s an audiobook too if you like audiobooks!

2 Likes

Cool, I’ll have to check it out.

After this I’m probably going to start on a book about the Abraham Lincoln conspiracy my friend recommended. I’m interested in learning more about that. For some reason.

1 Like

Which book?

1 Like

Killing Lincoln by Bill o’Reilly

3 Likes

Looks interesting. The other two books I’m reading are both about “conspiracies” … aka truth many people don’t care to discover.

1 Like