Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

Man, it’s hard to describe. I like deeper voices. Not like Johnny Cash, just someone that has a more naturally deep voice. Combine that with good vocal talent and I think it sounds good.

1 Like

What about Dennis Parker?

3 Likes

You’re just trying to make me say "I don’t know who that is":joy:

3 Likes

No I’m not, look him up!

4 Likes

Paul Brandt? Tim Foust? Alan Jackson? Personally i think Paul Brandt has a ton of talent.

2 Likes

:+1: I like someone who accepts a challenge, now all you have to do is get a lesson with Jake!

5 Likes

I will if you pay for it… :joy: I would seriously like to, I just don’t want to spend that much and I don’t know how much I could get out of just one lesson when he doesn’t know where I’m at and has to evaluate before teaching me stuff. I think it would be effective long term, I’m just not willing to spend that kind of money right now.

2 Likes

Haha. I totally understand. I couldn’t get lessons with Jake until I started getting a few students myself. I know it’s expensive but I feel like it’s a worthy investment and I’m grateful to be able to teach a few local children so I can study online with Jake. I’m sure you could do the same - didn’t you mention you’re getting students?

4 Likes

And now is the moment of truth. Is Libby a true believer?? Doth she give of her substance for the furtherance of the J.W. kingdom???

4 Likes

I do not offer scholarships, sorry.

6 Likes

“Silver and gold have I none but in the name of Jake Workman, float thy right hand!”

3 Likes

Yep. But I’m trying to save as much as I can. I’m not super into guitar but I’m sure he could teach me general music stuff that could be applied to everything. I might consider if I have like 30 students and lots of money saved haha.

5 Likes

He teaches banjo too.

2 Likes

All valid points. Not everybody has to get private lessons with the same teacher, I’m just teasing y’all. But - if you want to learn the TRUTH about picks, and hand position, and tone, don’t knock it till you try it :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I think it would be super fun and beneficial to do ArtistWorks with Noam Pikelny. I might do that sometime.

6 Likes

AW is a great option; more affordable too. And you get one-on-one instruction and advice. That’s the factor that’s really crucial to founding strong bluegrass opinions… just knowing what you’re talking about, because knowledgable instructors have guided you. You’d love the Video Exchanges, especially since you seem to be the type of person that is really motivated by frequently videoing yourself!

5 Likes

I just started listening to a DLQ album and I’m just gonna say: Sorry that I ever said they don’t have vocal talent, even if I was semi joking :joy:

6 Likes

Yeah, for sure.

3 Likes

ALTAR CALL! You are forgiven!!!

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes