Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

Welcome Ben! I’m looking forward to hearing some of your playing here!

3 Likes

He’s pretty good but he needs to learn some more instruments.

5 Likes

Saw this today on BluegrassToday. I’m intrigued! https://bluegrasstoday.com/dr-herringbones-tone-traveler-to-assist-breaking-in-instruments/

5 Likes

And to think we used to just leave our instruments in front of our stereo speakers and push play…

3 Likes

Finally! A worthy opponent… Our battle will be legendarrryyyyyyyy!!!

4 Likes

Game on! You can do better, Gunnar! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, I’m a multi instrumentalist… I guess I don’t play quite as many as y’all though :joy:

6 Likes

Same. I’m up to four now, and five if you count voice (which I do).

4 Likes

I do banjo, guitar, mandolin, fiddle, and bass. I never play fiddle but I can if I need to so I still count it :joy: I only took fiddle and guitar lessons, and I took fiddle for a lot longer than guitar, I just don’t like it much. I like the sound of it, I just never really enjoyed playing it for some reason.

2 Likes

Piano, guitar, violin, Irish whistle, VERY limited mandolin, and voice for me.

To each his own. I love both playing it and hearing it, but I’m sure you have your own favorite instrument to play.

3 Likes

That’s cool! I like hearing fiddle and it’s awesome. I just don’t enjoy playing it :joy: I guess I’m just a picker.

2 Likes

That neat. I enjoy guitar too, but not as much as the fiddle, so I guess we’re even :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s gotten to where banjo and mandolin are the only ones I REALLY like. I like guitar too, but not as much as those. And bass is essential, but playing bass lines in bluegrass doesn’t take much practice so I rarely play it, just when I need it in a video. I guess with fiddle it takes TONS of practice to be even decent at it and I’m not that into it so I don’t really work on it haha.

3 Likes

Unless you play an upright, bluegrass bass guitar doesn’t really count.:joy::joy:

4 Likes

But hey, it’s an instrument and I can do it😂 I can do other bass stuff too, it’s just not something I really care about.

2 Likes

well… as a bass guitar major in the Armed Forces School of Music, I must confess I play an electric in my bluegrass group… primarily because my left hand is arthritic and can’t handle the ol’ doghouse any more. Plus… I solo on bass as well… so that makes me a two time outlier in Bluegrass!

6 Likes

Gunnar wrote a poem folks.

5 Likes

I saw it. It was a poem about how he can’t write poems.

5 Likes

I can get him a thinking cap! (I know what everyone is now thinking with my pick of thinking cap!) :joy:

2 Likes

Blue Chip arrived yesterday, so tried it today.

I found everything said about it by the proponents to be true. Produces great tone. The material and the thickness of the pick seem to control/adjust the vibration a little bit, whatever be the striking force/speed, and produces a slightly muffled/controlled yet a sharp, beautiful tone. The dimension is perfect for holding it. The triangular size and the extra thickness (for the thickness size of other picks) allows it to balance perfectly for the pick to not easily slip out of control. What I bought was a heavy pick (TP 1R 60, 1.4 mm??) and it looks thicker than usual heavy picks yet lighter for feel. I don’t really have to loosen the stiffness of my hold for better rhythm playing sound. With the same hold, I get perfect rhythm sound.

So, there is something with the material and the size makes it unique and great.

Wish I had bought it before. I checked Ben’s site once before (year or 2 ago) but then I wasn’t sure of the size so left it at that at that time. Also, with a cheaper guitar (Fender CD140SCE), 40 bucks for a pick sounded little odd to me then. But then I always had issues with the grip so I was looking for better picks. If not for Libby and Michael, I would have prolonged the decision. But now that I have it, I really like it! Thanks everyone for all your views!

7 Likes