Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

It’s a science fiction novel and very insightful story, sadly not a Christian one though.

1 Like

Yeah, I love the story! Very suspenseful, thrilling (or whatever the right word is). Edmond, Mecedes, Fernand, Danglers, De Villefort, and the dungeon Chateu de If, Number 1, 2, 3 etc. etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I happen to be an avid reader, so here are some that I like:

Classic Gordon Kormon ('80s era)
Jeffrey Kluger’s Apollo series
Liftoff (about the early days of SpaceX)
About anything Jules Verne
Countdown to Zero Day

I may post more later.

4 Likes

A literary master!

The count of monte Cristo is an epic revenge story. Not Christian, but good. It’s also a pretty good movie

3 Likes

I know vengeance belongs to the Lord!! But I think he leaves it to them to decide their own fate. I don’t think he lays his hand upon them. Or do you disagree?

I know he wanted them to make understand their folly. Yeah I think he pushed it too much in that process??

1 Like

It may not be written by a Christian author, but I think the themes in it reflect some truths. For example, Edmond Dantès’s thirst for revenge seems to work as he punishes those who wronged him, but as time goes on, the reader sees how his revenge schemes end up back firing and what he thought would be sweet revenge ended up leaving him just as empty at the end. I think it is a good lesson that revenge never pays.

5 Likes

Another book with a similar theme (revenge never pays) is The Lion’s Skin by Rafael Sabatini.

4 Likes

I read real books; Mass Market or hard cover & by the series. I get enough
“screen time” without adding hours for reading. I’ll usually go through an author at a time.

Just donated 150 or so that i’d read to the local library system. Still have a dozen or so to get to yet.

Mostly I stay in the Fantasy/scifi genre. Used to do about 300 pages per day when I had the time, but the last few years any book I set down with seems to lead into a nap in the easy chair aaf_lol

3 Likes

Sherlock Holmes
The Scarlet Pimpernel
The Mysterious Benedict Society (and sequels)

4 Likes

You said it well, @theCrazyEight! :+1:

Thinking a little bit more about it, this is what comes to my mind. This fiction shows the reality and lays it all bare to state the problem and pushes one to look for a solution. In that sense, it is honest, and it is not against Christianity or anything. Again, it is in a way better than the “Christian” authors’ books where they attempt to provide a solution when they don’t know the solution. So, they all make it up!

Paul describes this situation in Galatian 3:24,
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Everybody got pancakes!

Some truths are:
Going might be looking good but you are susceptible (outside Christ, obviously outside real Christ!).
There is hope and help for the helpless.
Wicked, you get a chance, so better learn.
Give room for wrath, in other words leave it to God.

God makes it up much, much, better than you can think of or imagine (really)!

1 Like

OK cool, I’d like to check it out sometime! :slight_smile:

I think I’d like to read @LorenDB’s latest recommendations too! I watch Sherlock Holmes!

1 Like

@theCrazyEight
You did it! Great job! And yes, enjoyed your version of Blue Ridge Cabin Home, the harmonies and the fiddle break, all of it really! :slightly_smiling_face: Ended up picking along with yall as I already had the mandolin out :+1:!

6 Likes

Great job! That was fast, you literally just said you were gonna do this. You’ve got a good voice, I thought it suited bluegrass pretty well.

7 Likes

That’s melodious and beautiful, Taryn! I know I raised the bar with Suzy Boguss but you have good voice!! Keep it up.

Is Shaky a little bit shaky now? Maybe not. He will now come up with his own!

4 Likes

I might just make a Blue Ridge Cabin Home myself. Instrumental of course :wink:

6 Likes

OK great, looking forward to it.

6 Likes

Hey, you should check out Knights of Arrethtrae series by Chuck Black.

4 Likes

He also has The Kingdom series that are awesome as well, we always listened to them in the audio drama, it’s very well illustrated and is quite entertaining to listen to.

4 Likes

Sounds awesome! You usually don’t hear that kind of vocal sound in bluegrass, but I like it.

I’ve thought about multi-tracking this one, but I don’t play fiddle and also don’t sing tenor :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks! You all are too kind. I have a rather high voice (I sing 1st soprano in our homeschool choir) so I can’t sing lower like most “bluegrass” singers do. I feel they usually stay in the lower ranges. The sister who sang harmony for me has a much wider range and is able to sing a little bit lower than me, so we blend really well.

Now that’s a real compliment!

You should do vocals too. I bet you sound better than you’re letting on.

Both VERY good series! I prefer the Knights of Arrethrae, though. I feel like his abilities as a writer weren’t as developed in his first series (Kingdom series).

6 Likes