Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

How’d you fit your coffin in a motorcycle and manage to drive it?

4 Likes

That’s cool! I remember I initially thought it was played with a flat pick as well :joy:

4 Likes

Up until then we had just banged on guitars so when I got a banjo we had to go buy our first fingerpicks.

7 Likes

The dark side of the force is a pathway to many talents some consider to be logical fallacies. Also, when you’re alive you get the light side or the dark side, when you’re dead it’s just the dark side. Totally unfair

6 Likes

Hey, you’re faring better than Mary Baker Eddy…

4 Likes

Who?

3 Likes

Never mind

3 Likes

never mind.

1 Like

@Michael_Mark, we’ve been playing bluegrass guitar for exactly the same time! I started Bryan Sutton’s online course in January 2017, my first step to getting serious about learning guitar. That’s when I learned what the word flatpick meant (had to Google it), what a G run is, and how to play my first fiddle tunes. Prior to that, as @Timothy_L said we heard bluegrass just a few months before in the mountains of NC and got hooked on the sound. I had had a toy guitar since I was little but it wasn’t an instrument I knew how to play or even liked. I thought the guitar was boring and I would always want to play another instrument someday. Things changed 180 degrees when I heard Bryan Sutton playing on Mike Scott’s “Sunday Bluegrass” CD, the first bluegrass album we heard, and then I started his online course! That’s the story pretty much… oh, and for those who are still wondering… lessons with Jake came along in Dec. 2018 when I discovered him from this article on Bluegrass Today: https://bluegrasstoday.com/ricky-skaggs-scalds-the-cmas/ John Lawless’s last sentence caught my eye. Before that I thought the only bluegrass guitarist in the world was Bryan. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

He rodeoed! But glad he is alive and kicking.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl: Wow, yeah that would be cold!

5 Likes

My policy will always stay the same - “I’m neither with you, nor against you!” ©. Others/new comers, check out my post below.
Dixie doodle! - Video Swap - Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

2 Likes

The good old 45/50! 45 mph at 50°F.
In my car my ac system is a 65/4-70. 65mph with 4 windows down at 70 degrees.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Wow, I’m so honored… :joy: New user of the month.

3 Likes

Congratulations, newbie! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Going along with what @Timothy_L and @Flatpickin_Libby said… I got my first mandolin when I was 14 in May 2016 on Amazon, cost me $50, was the most expensive thing I’d ever bought :laughing:. I had wanted a mandolin ever since a family band we heard had one. I started off learning from method books for the first few years and then switched to ArtistWorks with Mike Marshall in January 2019. Started lessons with Jake in May 2019. So although I had always loved the mandolin when I got it, I didn’t actually really enjoy playing it until 2019 when I joined ArtistWorks.

10 Likes

I’m still on my first mandolin, a $60 Rogue :joy: I’m getting a Kentucky 675 soon though so I’ll have a better one before long.

5 Likes

Ok, I guess this fits in cause it’s the spiral thread…

The GROOVE!!! And that key change…

1 Like
2 Likes