Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

We should all play to be ourselves just take lots of references and you are naming plenty.

1 Like

Is he usually not? :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t want to imitate Jake… And I’m not trying to be Tony Rice…

2 Likes

Also who put “coffee is necessary” in the thread title? :joy:

2 Likes

Yoooooo, shots fired!!

3 Likes

2 Likes

He truly has ascended to nirvana…

I just don’t like his tone. I’ve tried to like him, but I just can’t hear him ever.

Jake is a shred metal guitarist who jumped genres. His right hand is almost unmatched. But at least in his album he often chose to dial back and play fewer notes even in fast songs, which is cool.
Still Tony was a timing and tone legend. Nobody else stretched timing like he did. Plus, that bend at the start of nine pound hammer. You can’t argue with that

1 Like

Agreed on Noam, he’s a technically incredible monster but his playing just doesn’t have that drive. Even when the Punch Brothers do their obligatory 1 traditional bluegrass song, he keeps that mellow tone and kinda ruins the song for me. He’s incredibly good at what he does, though.

Jake’s playing consists mainly of a lot and like a lot of notes. Most of those notes have the same duration and same tonal characteristics. Which is awesome and works great for what he does, don’t get me wrong. It’d be hard for a TR stylist to make it in KT.
I love the playing style that takes it on the back edge of the beat occasionally, uses tasteful syncopation and variations in timing, and emphasizes tonal differences between notes and passages.

(Basically, Kenny Smith is da bomb.)

1 Like

That’s true about Noam, he seems to always go for the mellow, close to the neck tone, no matter what he’s playing. Sometimes a more driving, close to the bridge tone is better.

1 Like

Noam can play hard driving too if he needs to it’s just not the style for his band. I don’t think he’s limited to only extremely difficult mellow playing. I think if he can do that, he can play any of the hard driving Earl Scruggs style that everyone else plays but there’s no one else that can play like he does usually.

6 Likes

That’s totally true, I know he could. I’ve just never heard him do it. His tone is always mellow, even if he’s playing a traditional bluegrass song

1 Like

Maybe you’ll feel differently if you jam sometime live and in person with Jake. It’s incredible what he can play - not just strings of eight notes with no tone.

7 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know where Michael gets all this about Jake. I’ve only seen videos of him, but Jake is fantastic. He’s just a bit biased about Tony Rice :joy::wink:

6 Likes

Jake plays Roanoke super fast, but also with a lot of feeling, as far as the way he picks it.

5 Likes

Jake knows so much about subtle tone nuances and playing with feel and deepness. Those who call him a rock shredder just don’t know him like I do - so there! Haha.

5 Likes

Yeah, knowing him personally must be cool. I’ve seen videos of him playing electric guitar and he’s literally better than any rock guitarist I’ve heard, and it’s not even Jake’s style :joy:

1 Like

I know Jake way better than Michael knows Tony. Guaranteed.

7 Likes

Oh, I’m sure :joy:

3 Likes

Here’s how I see it. Earl Scruggs will always be considered the greatest banjo player of all time, since he was the pioneer of it and bluegrass banjo style as we know it literally wouldn’t exist without him. But there are others who have built upon the foundation he laid and have become much more technically skilled than he was. But he’s still the best, since he’s the father of it. I feel like it’s kinda the same with Tony Rice, just with guitar. There are players (like Jake) who are more technically skilled than he was, but Tony is still considered the best. Just my theory.

1 Like

The person who invents a style cannot also master and develop that style as far as it can go. But they’re always venerated for being the father of that style. That’s how I feel.

6 Likes