Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

Not sure how I had never heard her before then. Well, I am me sooo…

1 Like

Well, she hasn’t played with any “famous” bands IIRC. She did play in a band with Jake and some other guys called “Driven” and there are some videos on Jake’s channel of that band.

4 Likes

She’s one of the best I’ve heard, I’m surprised she isn’t more well known. I actually didn’t even know who Jake was until like 8 months ago when I saw him on Libby’s channel :joy:

3 Likes

I’m sure @Flatpickin_Libby will be very honored to know that she was the reason :joy:

4 Likes

Haha, I probably would’ve discovered him by now, but then again, maybe not :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Libby’s channel just came up on my recommended page one day. It was the Foggy Mountain Breakdown video that went viral I think… I guess that came up on everyone’s page though :joy:

3 Likes

The videos of Driven on YouTube are some of the best stuff out there. They were SUCH a crazy good, tight, entertaining, fun young band!

2 Likes

I think they made an album at some point right?

1 Like

Yes a few but I think one with Jake and Rebekah

3 Likes

I LOVE Dry Creek Summit! I’m working on learning the second mandolin solo.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Anybody else listening to the new “Quicksilver” group Authentic Unlimited?
I love how well their new mandolin player patterns his picking style after Doyle Lawson!

5 Likes

Yesss! Love Jesse Brock. And John Meador… that guy can SING :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I’ve got some thoughts. So this evening I listened to the Bluegrass Album Band. I liked the overall sound of it, but there’s something that annoys me. I’ve never liked the sound of male singing in bluegrass (as y’all know :joy:) but I’ve been trying to listen to it and get used to it. It’s growing on me and I’m starting to like it more, but why do 95% of vocal bluegrass songs have to be about broken hearts and relationships that didn’t work? I mean, can’t there be some positivity? Every single song just about “you broke my heaaaaaart” “My baby’s goooooone” “I loved you now you’re goooooone” etc.:joy: I’m enjoying the style more but it’s hard to find stuff that’s enjoyable to listen to when nearly all of the lyrics make me go :roll_eyes:.

As far as Tony Rice, he created the style which takes an incredible amount of skill, talent, and creativity and I definitely respect him and recognize that. But if he wasn’t the father of the style his playing itself really wouldn’t stand out to me. That’s just me though. Any thoughts on anything I might enjoy that isn’t just about broken hearts? Doyle Lawson is pretty good, all his songs are about dying but at least it’s in a positive way😂

6 Likes

Yes
Bluegrass Gospel!!:rofl:
I know a band…:eyes:

5 Likes

That sounds like Bluesgrass! :slight_smile:

I think that was my first and the only bluegrass I listened to in a cassette tape before joining BanjoBen, several years ago!

2 Likes

Son son son…
NO there cannot be positivity!!! That’s for pop music and stuff.

One day you will learn son.

5 Likes

Fine, dad… I did hear some pretty cool Crowe licks I might have to try.

4 Likes

I’ll just stick with instrumental bluegrass I guess :joy: You always talk about how lyrics are essential but if that’s the lyrics to all the songs I just don’t understand that haha.

5 Likes