Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

That blows your mind? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Seriously? The style of Tony and Wyatt fills the band far more because you have the notes spaced out over time. Like a wavelength, where Jake’s style has higher crests but quicker drop offs?

Yes. Far harder than most lead playing

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Especially when you have Flux fluxing behind it. It’s wonderful

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I heard a band live recently where the guitarist was like a Tony clone. He could really pick, and he had all the Tony licks down. Definitely way past what I can do!! But his rhythm just left me unsatisfied … kinda frustrated, as I heard the bass and the mandolin just driving it, and here’s the guitar doing all these quiet, mellow fills and soft chords behind them. Pretty note choices, yeah, but it didn’t fill the band like I wanted it too and I personally didn’t think that was his role when good, strong, driving rhythm was so lacking.

1 Like

Who was it lol. And I’m not talking about your friendly neighborhood Tony clone, I have no idea what he sounds like. That’s no different from me saying “yeah i don’t think that Workman style is that great because I heard this band Headin Home and the guitarist was a Workman stylist and I really didn’t like her as much as Tony Rice to be honest.” :joy:

It also sounds like you’re understanding “drive” to be big snappy chords that give you a certain feel tonally.

Woah there!

1. don’t judge Jake by me. I cannot play like him as much as I want to!
  2. you’ve never HEARD Headin’ Home! I told you we’re coming to Eustis this Sunday and you said you’re busy!!! :rage:
  3. I would PM you the band/guitarist that I’m talking about, because I don’t want to come across as bad-mouthing a player on a public forum (dead people don’t count :joy:) … but you turned off your private messages over a friendly moon chat. :crescent_moon: Turn them back on and I’ll share more with you!
3 Likes

Drive is purely rhythmic and has nothing to do with tones, everything to do with beat

1 Like

DON’T JUDGE TONY RICE BY A TONY RICE CLONE THEN

Yeah, because I go to church like a normal friendly well adjusted kinda guy!

Nobody reads this stupid thread anyway.

2 Likes

No. Good drive is a light and churning flow. It’s intense and tasteful and it rises and falls in volume as the music calls for it. Don’t get me wrong, I can’t stand guitarists who just pound. That’s not hard driving; it’s painful. I jammed with this guy at SPBGMA who was about to go right THROUGH his guitar. I was like, ouch. That’s extreme and not at all pleasant to listen to! :laughing:

Um, no, that’s factually wrong. Like textbook wrong.

1 Like

Watch this please

I’ve heard Ben and Russ both say the same thing as above. It’s solid information ^^^^

All we’ve got left is Tony clones. The guy isn’t around anymore. :roll_eyes:

Whereas, you can go hear Jake Workman himself live, not just his students!

You imbecile…

1 Like

1ii2yd

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes