Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

I’ve seen Rick Faris do that several times. I also do it myself a bit, but not as good as Jake or Rick :joy:

1 Like
5 Likes

I also recommend going back and acquainting yourself with Tony’s jazz and Dawg music repertoire, much of which was played in uncommon keys over complex chord changes, with no capo. (Mar west is one example but that’s in B minor.) You could also re-listen to Tony play the 3 minute intro to Wayfaring Stranger on the homespun DVD (and/or the solo in open C minor), or Shenandoah, and be reminded that no BG guitarist has the class and sophistication (in tone and in character) that this guy did. You could also join Instagram and follow Jake and check out who was at the top of his “best guitarists” list on his recent q&a story :joy: :joy: :joy:

Yeah Rick can do it pretty well! But his solo isn’t close to Jake’s.

Haha, Tony couldn’t ever have played those triplets like he did. And we’re talking bluegrass here, not slow minor songs. :laughing: No doubt Tony knew his fretboard well, but man, Jake knows it upside down. Crazy!

Lol I never was comparing Rick to Jake. You asked for a video :joy:

I wouldn’t say Tony couldnta played those triplets… not that much of his jazz stuff was slow! And he’s played triplets like that, but not near as often as Jake. It’s not much of a Tony thing.

Too, I’ve watched 18 yr old Mark O’Connor playing stuff with Grisman that’s (to me) more impressive than Jake. Like, triplets that fast. He’s kind of an underrated guitarist for sure (although not in his mind :rofl:)

Anyway, I was listening to a podcast interview with Marcel earlier, and he pointed out that a lot of different guitarists have a different purpose and niche. For instance Jake and Cody are machines, everything’s always super polished bc they always have to be up to KT standards, which is what that band needs. Trey Hensley is much different. It’s not because he’s worse than Jake, he just doesn’t play that style.

1 Like

Have you ever listened to DGQ and TR non-bluegrass stuff anyway?

Of course. And we have different tastes too. Personally, I want to hear blazing bluegrass guitar picking that makes you just have to yell, but even when it’s slowed down it has the most gorgeous taste and POWER and it’s all played completely tension-free with the sleekest looking hand position ever; and the most creative, slick, clean, startlingly different choices of notes.

To me, traditional (Tony) means more mellow playing, softer sound, and very much repeated licks. It’s not my favorite style, but I know it’s yours.

By the way Trey is my second favorite. I saw him live a couple months ago and decided that on the spot!

I just had to share that video tonight because it kinda scared me :joy:

2 Likes

Some, but it’s - I don’t want to say dry, because some people love it. That’s just how I find it, in a way. Like classical music vs. bluegrass.

Yeah I’m just very much into the more emotional playing and jazz tones. Tony can hit all the spots which is probably why he’s my favorite. Some TR stuff makes me wanna cry, but then there’s Tony’s solo on Whitewater… MMMMMM!!! One person in a YT comment said “Tony Rice plays hot licks with the level of poetry found in ballads”.

My second fave (favorite player alive) is Kenny Smith. Never heard someone as tasteful as he is. His playing is also super easy to listen to, and super creative with his tension and release. Super round tone which is pretty different than Tony or Trey or Jake.

Have you heard Trey live? Or Zeb Snyder? :fire::fire::fire::fire:

I just found it more interesting than most bluegrass. It’s definitely not as relatable as most bluegrass but it’s super cool. Bluegrass wins out in the end for me because of vocals.

No, I want to though.

Here, listen to this. Tony wrote in Still Inside that he discovered jazz at age 16, and later discovered this kinda music, and was just like “I don’t know what that is but I wanna play it!” This style was a huge influence in his later work.

I have shuffled my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th favorite players around a lot recently, :slight_smile: depending on who I’ve heard live… you gotta hear Trey sometime. So much power! I hope to hear Kenny sometime soon.

1 Like

My mind got blown when I sat next to Kenny and heard the low-key craziness he pulled out of that old 18. And his economy of motion, second to none… :exploding_head:

1 Like

I can’t help thinking that when you post those Tony jazz videos you’re getting a little off topic. I heard Doyle Dykes (fingerstyle GENIUS) live the other night and it just blew my mind. He is so amazing. He knows his guitar like crazy. So much talent - he is incredible. But that’s totally unrelated to how much I love good bluegrass guitar. So are you saying, maybe, that your favorite guitar style/player isn’t even bluegrass? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

What about bands, do you have next favorites for them? I heard LRB live for the first time and they became my favorite active band, musically. Balsam Range still takes the top spot in terms of the songs themselves… they’re such thoughtful lyrics. Which makes me enjoy them 10 times more than Kentucky Thunder, because I listen to music for the core purpose of receiving a message. Those guys really make music that’s thought provoking and emotional… whereas “I GOT A PIIIGGGG AT HOME IN A PENNN” got old for me, no matter how good the instrumentals were :joy:

Oh yeah there’s no doubt that my “favorite style” can’t be constrained to one genre really. Tony is the artist that has really touched all the points I love the most. Kenny Smith reminds me a lot of Tony in that way, too. It’s not just about the other genre itself though, it’s about the influence that comes through.

I love fingerstyle and it touches a whole other area in my heart. I wish I was more versatile in that way too.

1 Like

My favorite bands are those that equally entertain and encourage. (My goal for our band, and everything I personally do in music.) I want to see a show that fills me with so much excitement and joy for the music, and also uplifts me with a wholesome message.

Unfortunately I’d have to say most bluegrass bands kinda miss that mark for me, if you take their whole show from start to finish, lyrically. But Ricky’s show these days is actually very gospel centered and inspiring, as well as turbo-charging in terms of musical energy and entertainment! Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Appalachian Road Show, Sideline (for the most part), The Kody Norris Show (same), are some other bands that really get me excited!

1 Like

THUNDER DAAANNNNNNNNNN

I was actually surprised at how much of LRB’s show was gospel. Really good gospel too. And the current lead vocalist, Adam Miller, is one of the best I’ve ever heard. Probably my second favorite in that band actually. I am SO STOKED for the new album.

2 Likes