Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Spiral Discussion. STATUS: Attention Homeschooled - A poll/survey for you!

Kind of… I think I’ve held one a few times, I’ve never solved one.

1 Like

It’s nearly impossible to do when you don’t know how. And then after you learn how and you’ve done it about a hundred thousand times, it’s super easy :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve done it once. I have it somewhere now I want to dig it out.

Rubik’s
Sorry couldn’t resist

4 Likes

My fastest was 1:15 and I thought that was good. It’s impressive enough to the average person I guess

3 Likes

Yeah, most people act amazed if you can solve it at all :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah. But unfortunately for me, in the circles I hang out in, there’s almost always at least one real cuber, so nobody is that impressed

1 Like

Hey, y’all should help me decide what tune to play at Galax.

2 Likes

Play Vertigo…

Sorry, had to do it.

It has to be public domain.

Bryan Sutton does have a fantastic break for it.

Well that’s a bit of a problem.

I can 100% see myself polishing up some Bela Fleck song for months and being ready to go compete with it and then finding out I can’t use it.

1 Like

A song that’s not too common, yet is common enough for the judges to recognize it and know the melody and chord structure.

Weak contest choices:
-Overdone songs (i.e. Beaumont Rag, Alabama Jubilee, Nine Pound Hammer)
-Songs that don’t change chords much and show your ability to move with the chords, but are mostly just jamming over G (i.e. Fireball Mail, Red Haired Boy, Old Joe Clark) - UNLESS it’s such a stellar arrangement that it still stands out, regardless.
-A rare song (i.e. Decision at Glady Fork, Down in the Dirt :slight_smile: )
-An original. NO NO NO! Never.

Strong contest choices:
-Recognizable songs that are rarely done, or rarely done on your instrument (I did Roanoke last year on guitar and didn’t hear a single other instrument do that, the entire week, not even fiddle. So that was a strong choice. It’s creative to do a banjo tune on mandolin, or a fiddle tune on guitar, etc. On the contrary, I heard Road to Columbus and Backup and Push more times than I could count on the fiddle; and other songs like Clinch Mountain Backstep and Salt Creek repeatedly across ALL instruments. Sometimes I heard two fiddles in a row do Backup and Push. :joy: It doesn’t have to be a song nobody’s doing; I’m doing Big Sandy River this year and I’m sure I won’t be the only one. But I’m expecting… or at least hoping… 50 other contestants aren’t planning it!)
-A song that moves over different chord progressions (i.e. Dixie Hoedown, Bill Cheatham)

This is advice others have given me, and it’s been super helpful.

5 Likes

I’ve been going back and forth between Temperance Reel and Big Sciota, mainly because of the E minor opportunities. I’m just not sure which version of Big Sciota to play (C first or Em first) :joy:

3 Likes

What instrument are you playing?

Guitar

1 Like

Old Newberry

1 Like

Oh yikes, competition!

Is it a bad idea to do a hymn?