Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Official 2020 Camp Song List

The mandolin is very linear and it’s easy to learn the theory. Don’t forget that you can move everything up (or down) a string to change the key or chord.

2 Likes

Literally just figured that out a couple of days ago. I thought “Well THAT’S handy!”

Having the strings tuned to perfect fifths makes things way more convenient that any other instrument I’ve played.

3 Likes

:rofl: I’ve learned to play mine, in theory, already! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Did I see somewhere that instrument setup would be available at this camp?

3 Likes

Probably so. Last year each student was pulled aside for a custom set up by Jake and/or Adam. Adam found an issue with the tailpiece on my banjo that made a pretty impressive difference in the power it was putting out once resolved.

3 Likes

Great, thanks!

1 Like

Yep, that’s the plan! Keep in mind that it’s a lot of instruments, so we simply won’t have time for detailed setup work. But as far as action (in most cases), buzzes, head tightness, etc., we should be good to go!

1 Like

Hello Ben! I just received my new HD28E from Sweetwater. I had their luthier do a Pro Setup, but the action I believe is a little too low as I’m getting string buzz. I’m looking for a good luthier in my area, but if a can’t find one, I may have to wait until I see ya’ll at the April camp to check it for me.

1 Like

Yep, we’re used to fixing Sweetwater’s work :rofl:

6 Likes

I’m a late addition but am very excited to come down. With a few weeks left I was just wondering if it would be ok to use tabs down there or is it generally preferred to memorize the songs?

2 Likes

Tabs are ok. I’ll have mine.

2 Likes

Lots of folks used tabs last time. If you can, try to at least learn the chords to the songs. It’ll help out during the nightly jam sessions.

3 Likes

I’m a first time camper for the jul 9-11 camp. I’m working on the songs and will absolutely have tabs!

3 Likes

Howdy all as a new member I don’t know what the camp is is it on line on location please let me know. the Pics look like a great time looking forward to hearing bye for now.

3 Likes

Hi David @Sailor welcome to Banjo Ben! As far as I’m aware the cabin camp is on location at Ben’s place near Nashville. I think there might be a couple spots left, unfortunately I can’t attend. I’m sure some of the members who attended the camp last year can give you more info.

4 Likes

Hey David!

Harrison nailed it. Camp is at Ben’s house. He’s holding 2 camps this time. The first on the first weekend in July and the second on the second weekend. Both start on Thursday and end Saturday night.

I think Ben said recently that some spots have opened up due to people having to cancel because of all of the COVID craziness going on.

If you can make it, you won’t regret it. It’s one of the funnest things I’ve ever done.

6 Likes

@Sailor, @D_HRRFan7303 & @Mark_Rocka pointed you in the right direction. I attended last year, and I’ll be back for more this year. It was a blast, and I’m thankful to be able to go again this year. If you can make it, there may be a couple of spots still open due to late cancellations…I’d highly recommend it and hope to see you there.

4 Likes

Thanks to all for your response I am to much a beginner at this time hope to go next year. also want a better banjo so money may be a thing, as it is always lol God Bless all, keep pickin

4 Likes

I don’t know where I’ve been but I had not received any emails about song lists or really anything else about the July 9-11 camp. Even checked my spam folder. Around the first of June, I emailed Alicia and asked about the song list and she said that was sent out in December…? She forwarded it to me but that doesnt really leave much time to practice the solos. Im still coming and I guess i will just have to settle playing rhythm to most songs. #Bummed

3 Likes

You’re gonna be fine! The songs are just to provide a framework for what you’re going to learn–they are not prereqs in a strict sense by any means. You’re good! Please email her at alicia@banjobenclark.com if you have any questions and I’ll see you soon!

4 Likes