Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The Fiddle Thread

What happened to VIOPENDING ? high_five

2 Likes

New strings on my other/older fiddle today. Trying out some Corelli Crystals.

Wow, what a cacophony! The fiddle sounds better with these strings on it I think, but getting used to the difference in instruments is a challenge to say the least!

4 Likes

2021 Grand Master Fiddler Championship

today & tomorrow
Day 1 Contest stream

Day 2 Contest stream

5 Likes

I have that same thing between the 2 mandolins I have. I thought it was just me! Thanks Dave for mentioning that, I feel better now… :grin:

3 Likes

Restrung my older fiddle again. It just wouldn’t stay in tune.

Trying some Larsen virtuoso’s this time. Went with the “forte” (heavy) gauge.

Wow, what an incredible improvement! Cleaner notes, far more volume, way less unwanted noise. I may have found the right string match for this fiddle finally…after several hundred dollars worth of experimentation.

2 Likes

Been working with Lone Star Rag tonight. (actually at least a year :roll_eyes:)
After the “big jam” sound n the last tune I thought I’d try something a little more stripped down…just guitar, bass, and fiddle on this one…

This is the best cut overall that I could get so far this evening…been at it for about 4 hrs.

Most of the fiddle stuff comes from Justin Branum.
Some came from Isaac Callender, and a few licks are my own.

As always comments & observations are welcome.

5 Likes

Sounded like some western classic movie music and looks like it is! Well done! Nice swing! :+1:

2 Likes

Definitely sounds like something from the Lone Star state. I like it!

3 Likes

Loved your Lone Star Rag recording! I could listen to that kind of music all day. Fiddle sounding super clean in this one. At around :31 &:44 that sounds very cool.

3 Likes

Thanks all!

2 Likes

Tried some Washington County tonight. Both breaks come from a performance by Justin Branum at the Station Inn (he teaches them on his website).

This was recorded into my vocal mic. It gives a much “closer” sound…not sure I like it better, but it sounds much more like what I actually hear when playing, so it’s very realistic. Hmmm…“realistic” just doesn’t sound complimentary to me :roll_eyes::wink:

Comments or advice welcomed, as always.

8 Likes

Late to hear this but could just listen and listen to this. As large and ungainly as I am fail to see how I would not at least badly dance to this!

2 Likes

thanks,Glad you liked it! Kenny Baker out out some good music.

OK, stupid question time… When I’m at a jam with a fiddle player, they seem to be doing something akin to mandolin chop sometimes when they’re not taking a break. Are they just bowing the root note of the chord on the two and the four or is it something more complicated than that? Also, what is that called?

2 Likes

Yep, a fiddle chop! The simplest explanation is it’s a tiny lift/upbow on the chord tones on 1 and 3 and then an emphasized muted downbow on 2 and 4. A little tricky to get the hang of.

There are, of course, folks that take it “just a bit” further…

3 Likes

…took that big ol’ train an awfully long time to get moving.

Anybody have recommendations for online fiddle instruction they have used?

2 Likes

Hi @Shad A few years back a friend @BanjoBen 's was planning to teach fiddle. Maybe Ben can put you in touch.

2 Likes

I would recommend artistworks for the best way to learn. Also Bluegrass Daddy is a nice site like this one. (Coming from the worst fiddle player on @BanjoBens forum.)

5 Likes

I’ve done Darol Anger’s Artistworks course in the past as well as BluegrassDaddy, though my fiddle playing is probably the worst possible advertisement for either of them. :joy:
@Dragonslayer is a better advertisement (actually, I believe he may be available for private lessons online. Great way to support your national dragon slayer committee)…

7 Likes