Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

The 9 Pound Hammer

Mix is sounding much better Mike. Nice job!
Been working on a little banjo back-up now that the leads & vocals are filled in and should have a track ready soon. Needs something to balance out all those guitars… :smiling_imp:

I look forward to hearing the banjo! I might get to work on the song a bit tomorrow (minor tweaks).

I go away for a few days and the song really takes off! I got to remember that for the next project.

I think back up banjo will really pull things together. It seemed strange to me to hear the banjo for the first time during the break at the end of the song.

I finally figured out why I couldn’t play tracks on Kompoz. My adobe flash player needed updating. My son’s the one who really found it, but he updated adobe and now I can play all the tracks. I posted this in case anyone else was having the same trouble. Someone may have mentioned the flash player awhile back. If I missed it I’m sorry. So now you don’t have to use dropbox Mike unless someone else is having the same issues.

Thanks to all who participated in the project. It sounds great and it has been alot of fun. It was cool having Ben in the mix! Looking forward to the next one even though this one’s not quite finished. Great job on the mixing Mike. Maybe I’ll finish that mandolin split break on Lonesome Fiddle Blues I promised a long time ago.

J.W.

Ahhhh! LF Blues… I look forward to hearing the break.

I got a new vocal processor plug in (Izotope Nectar Elements). It was on on a “why not” sale so I picked it up. I was playing with it and just ran through some presets and I kind of like it. Here’s a link to a mix where the only changes I made (or at least intended to make) was on Ozzi’s vocal track.
dropbox.com/s/v11tezs95bmt2 … t.mp3?dl=0

I went to upload it to Kompoz but I couldn’t figure out how to make a new mix thread.

I liked how this preset EQ’d his voice. It has a touch of reverb and a de-esser and that is all that is obvious. The plug in kind of hides the details of what all it is doing and only exposes certain things on each preset. The most entertaining preset was probably the chipmonk preset.

I compared the new mix with the previous one and it does seem better though I’m not sure how to describe why.

It’s fun having new toys, isn’t it?

Is de-esser code for some swear word?? if so, I hope that de-esser gets it right next time!!! :laughing:

Yeah, we’re gonna have to work on that little de-esser.

You guys just blow me away with your combined talents.

Unfortunately, while listening to one of the earlier mp3 files on the thread my Sound Blaster 3D PCle sound card frizt out and all of the treble ranges died; and yet, even with only the bass range the recording still sounded good!.

I’m looking forward to listening to the rest of the recordings when the new card arrives later this week, and following what comes next. For now, I think I’ll very, very, humbly go back to working on some of the beginner tabs.

Thanks for the kind words JugSock! Sorry we broke your sound card :smiley: If you have any interest in recording some with a group, just post and let us know. I tried to get an “easier” collaborative going a couple of times and didn’t get any takers. With that said, we had a guy who had only been playing banjo for a few months jump right in, and he did remarkably well. Christmas time is coming up and some of us have been talking about getting another Christmas collaborative tune (or two) going.

No takers…? Hmm, sounds like a really fun missed opportunity to me.

I wonder how much of the silence was caused by a lack of confidence/lack of skill? As a recent beginner, I know first-hand how debilitating that can be. I think it’s even worse for older guys (like me) than it is for kids or younger beginning players. When you’re a “gray beard” and pick up an instrument there’s always a certain expectation from the audience that you’ve got experience. Then you start playing… :unamused:

On the other hand, some maturity can sure help when it comes to discipline and focus while practicing; recognizing and accepting limitations and progress; and being able to laugh at yourself when you make mistakes. As my last teacher said, all roads to successful start at suckfull. :blush: :laughing:

Jugjock, sorry I typed your name wrong in the last post. I’m not sure if it was a typo or I read it wrong.

Anyway, I think you’ve got the right attitude. Learning as an adult (as most of here are) is much more difficult. But then again if we didn’t try learning today, we certainly aren’t going to get any better. Keep an eye out for collaborative projects coming up soon. I suspect we’ll get something going for Christmas.

Do y’all have a link to the song so I can hear what you’ve created?

There are links scattered throughout the various posts on the thread, so if you want you can go back and see how it developed. I think this is the last version:
dropbox.com/s/v11tezs95bmt2 … t.mp3?dl=0