Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Terry McQuattie from Reno, Nevada

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Steve Martin -I always liked the banjo and about 6 years ago saw him and the Steep Canyon Rangers. I actually saw Steve in 1964 play at the Prison of Socrates in Newport Beach. He was an opening act and wore the white suit and had the arrows on his head.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I started almost 5 years ago. I was 65 and wanted to show an old dog can learn new tricks. I had played classical guitar all my life. We have the Northern Nevada Bluegrass Association and they have jams for all levels twice a month. I drive to a beautiful park by our Truckee River every day from work for lunch and practice 30 minutes.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
All the early rolls and theory and the beginner songs really helped me early on.

What’s your goal when playing?
To memorize and through repetition have a nice number of songs to be able to play with our advanced group, which I moved up to about a year ago.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I still love classical guitar but don’t play it much as I love playing the banjo.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I have been a manner for 5 years but became Lifetime about 3 years ago.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
I warm up with the three primary rolls for the first 5-10 minutes.

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. I love the talent and especially the humor. Another reason I am fond of Ben.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I have a Recording King.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Probably a high end Huber.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Play music, fly fish and enjoy my beautiful grandchildren.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
I searched the internet and saw the funny bit for Mountain Foggy Breakdown and knew we had the same type of humor.

Anything else you’d like to add?
I am about to retire and thank God for blessing me with 40 years in my career and just celebrated 40 years with my wonderful wife.

Terry%20M%20BanjoBenClark%202

10 Likes

Nice to meet you and nice shirt!

1 Like

Congratulations. That shirt reminds me of something Ben would have offered up at the store.

1 Like

Congrats on GPOTW! I love the shirt, I have one that says “Today’s forecast: 100% chance of banjo playing”.

1 Like

Ditto on the shirt.

I showed my wife… Who got a kick out of it!

1 Like

Wonderful Profile! Congrats on GPotW.

1 Like

Congratulations Terry on becoming the GPOTW.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! You are such great people that is why I love blue grass and blue grass folks.

3 Likes

Congrats on the GPOTW! Definitely a nice shirt, I like how the print size makes it where if your wife wasn’t wearing her glasses, it looks like it just says “I love my wife” :joy: nice profile! Hope to see you around the forum more!

1 Like

Congrats on Gold Picker of the Week!

Hard to tell but is that Tommy Emmanuel in your profile pic? (LOVE him). Just saw him in concert at a small venue in Franklin, TN a few months ago. He’s amazing.

2 Likes

If you click on his picture it takes you to his profile and a bigger picture. It does indeed appear to be Tommy, of whom I am also a fan

1 Like

Yes it is! Great musician and great person.

1 Like

Hey Terry Congrats on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member

2 Likes

Very nice! The thought of practicing on your lunch break at work is intriguing to me… I should do that too!

1 Like

It is a great way to get away for a bit and enjoy the practice time. When I am unable I feel like I am missing something!

2 Likes

I am also a stick waver and have been known to wander the banks of the trout streams around there. I won’t be so alarmed if, while I’m fishing, I hear banjo music!

2 Likes

Congrats on being GPotW, Terry! I totally agree on wanting to play in Steve Martin’s band. That would be so cool.

I had been watching Martin in movies for years before I knew he played banjo. Then I saw that stand up act you mentioned where he’s got an arrow through his head and a banjo around his neck. I remember saying “Wow! He’s actually good!” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well done Terry and great shirt as well… keep picking friend

2 Likes