Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

TEF on Chromebook?

Does anyone know if tef files can be played on a Chromebook? All my efforts are coming up short. Thank you!

1 Like

If you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, you could install the Linux package WINE and the use that to run the Windows Tefview app, but I’m not sure how easy that would actually be.

Hi @nschlueter Nathan I can’t say for sure. In order to read/play TEF files you’ll need to install TefView or TablEdit on your Chromebook. I don’t see it listed but here is a link to the free player

https://tabledit.com/tefview/download.shtml

Thanks for the suggestion. A bit intimidating for a novice.

Thanks Archie. It’s surprising to me that no one seems to have raised this question. Surely I"m not the first and only Banjo Ben player using a Chromebook attempting to play a TEF file. Is that possible?! I would be willing to pay a little for a TEF app, but I don’t even see that as an option.

1 Like

I’ve installed TefView on a Samsung tablet and it works. A Chromebook should run android apps.

The TefView is all you need to use the tef files provided by Ben. You only need to pay if you want to edit or make your own tef files.

1 Like

Hi Nathan I agree I have never heard of anyone ask about Chrome Book before. If you are looking to write or edit TABs then you can purchase TablEdit https://tabledit.com/

For further info on compatability with Chrome Book send an email to * Matthieu Leschemelle (Programming and general support - French, English)

He is the creator of this fantastic software

2 Likes

@nschlueter: you also might be able to install TuxGuitar on your Chromebook as a Linux app. As far as I know, you can import TEF into TuxGuitar.

UPDATE: So I followed Archie’s suggestion and contacted Mattthieu at tabeledit. I learned two things: (1) Tableedit does not work on a Chromebook, but TEFpad does work on many (most?) Chromebooks. I had to download the app (and actually paid $5 for it. No biggie). (2) But my Chromebook did not open Ben’s TEF files with the app, so I had to open the app first, and then go and find the file on my computer through the app. Not too difficult, but the program is not as simple and nice as Tableedit. But it works! Thanks for your help, everyone!

4 Likes

Hi Nathan, Glad to hear you found a solution. As regards to the app not opening the TEF file you may need to link with the TEFpad App. On a PC it alerts the user when you click on a new file type and asks you to associate a player.

1 Like

TEFview for Android works quite well on my Chromebook.
I like the MacOS version better, but still - the Android version is darn good.
Try this link (or just search for “TEFview for Android”):