Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Tailpiece hooks snapping

Has anyone else had this happen? One of my hooks snapped so I started hooking that string to the adjacent post and now that one has snapped. I guess I have to replace the tailpiece now. Is that a big deal?

1 Like

Wow! I’ve never seen that before. Replacing it isn’t really that big of a deal. Here’s a video that walks you through the process.

4 Likes

I’ve also never had that happen. I replaced the tailpiece on my Kentucky KM-1050 with a James tailpiece. It was pretty straight forward, but I did have to drill deeper holes into the support block inside the mandolin, because the screws for the James tailpiece were longer.

It looks like an Eastman? I would give the manufacturer a call. It is definitely a defect, and I’d expect them to send you a new tailpiece.

Also, having the other strings on the adjacent piece is going to put all their tension onto that one, so I’d expect it to snap soon, too.

1 Like

I am guessing you’ve knocked it at some point without realising and it has weakened the hooks. Then tension on the string has finished the job.

Fitting a new tailpiece shouldn’t be too difficult.

1 Like

Eastman is sending me a new tailpiece for free. Didn’t ask if I was the original owner or anything like that. Pretty sweet.

8 Likes