Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

TablEdit Help

Is there anyone who is good in using TablEdit - with the Demo version?

I am composing but need help with specific questions.

If you are willing, please email me at: mdgri3@gmail.com

2 Likes

The Demo version only allows you to save a limited number of measures. I think itā€™s 15 measures, Itā€™s been many years since I used it.

Go ahead and ask your questions here. Iā€™ll do my best to answer. I am sure @Mark_Rocka & @BanjoBen will too.

3 Likes

@Archie @Fiddle_wood Okā€¦ It is actually not an issue of the length.

My question is that there are instruments that can be used in modules. I have 4 modules right nowā€¦

1st module is my Mandolin. 2nd module is Rhythm Guitar. 3rd is Accoustic Bass. 4th is a melody (voice).

My issue is that while my 1st Mandolin Module is written properlyā€¦ but I cannot get the instrument use the MIDI Mandolin soundā€¦ as it is not in the listā€¦ which is strange?!

It may have something to do with my computer use of the channels perhaps?

On all the other modules, I can seem to get the right sound.

I just wonder if there is some trick to assigning the proper instruments to the channels available?

I can try to switch all aroundā€¦ but donā€™t know if it will work?

3 Likes

Ok

So in the Instrument Module, Select Tuning. there is a drop down Menu select Mandolin GDAE where G is the bottom string. Now click on the Module TAB and at the bottom Select Acoustic Guitar (steel) Channel 8-9 checked. Then click Apply then Ok.

When you add a Bass you sometimes get a midi conflict. So in the Bass Module select Acoustic Bass. NOTE that the string tuning is the inverse of how the mandolin is tuned EADG with the E string on the bottom. Again click on Module TAB and this time select Acoustic Bass Channel 11-12 Checked

Make sure that when you set the tuning you click on Apply then OK.

Remember this is MIDI and the quality of the output is down to the quality of your sound card and speakers/headphoneā€™s. Often a poor quality sound card will produce better quality Midi Output than a higher quality sound card.

3 Likes

Very good explanation @Archie. Thanks so much. As it is a bit of a detailed problem, I wasnā€™t sure if you would absorb my issue: Mandolin notation OK but the instrument doesnā€™t show up. :thinking::pensive:

Side note: Itā€™s frustrating to see sounds/instruments like ā€œSitarā€, ā€œHelicopterā€ and ā€œApplauseā€ā€¦ but Mandolin seems to drop from the list. :rage::persevere::sweat_smile:

We are about to eat but I will try to look at this tonight or tomorrow.

I can visualize the screens and everythingā€¦ but I will have to attempt to do these steps deliberately.

Also, thanks for advisement about the Bass sound as I didnā€™t know about the possibility of interferenceā€¦ but I am using Accoustic Bass as I wanted that original attempt at a Bluegrass sound :wink:.

I also did make the change from Accoustic Guitar (nylon) to Steel Strings also.

I also considered if those options for marking a module as Rhythm would have an affect in instrumentation?

Anyway, I will try again.

2 Likes

Very good explanation @Archie. Thanks so much. As it is a bit of a detailed problem, I wasnā€™t sure if you would absorb my issue:

What would lead you think that ?

Mandolin notation OK but the instrument doesnā€™t show up.

The reason it doesnā€™t show up Will is because itā€™s not listed even in the paid version. You can physically enter the text ā€˜Mandolinā€™ in the small window but it doesnā€™t make it sound like a mandolin.

Side note: Itā€™s frustrating to see sounds/instruments like ā€œSitarā€, ā€œHelicopterā€ and ā€œApplauseā€ā€¦ but Mandolin seems to drop from the list.

This is all to do with computer generated MIDI sound output - You have to remember TablEdit is not a musical instrument. The software is under constant development and has been for more than 10 years. The application you are using is a FREE Demo Version.

Complaints and Suggestions should be submitted to the Software Author Matthieu Leschemelle click on the link below for contact details https://www.tabledit.com/contact/index.shtml

I can visualize the screens and everythingā€¦ but I will have to attempt to do these steps deliberately.

Much of what I know about TablEdit has been learned through years of trial and error.Trying to figure stuff out on my own and through asking questions of others. I didnā€™t find the TablEdit manual or the Yahoo TablEdit Forum (whilst it existed) in the least bit helpful.

There is however a few helpful tips over on the Banjo Hangout - If you look in the TAB Request forum there is a Sticky Thread there which I helped to set up and contributed to when I was an active member.

Also search YouTube there are some Old Tutorials of an early version of the software which give a helpful overview

3 Likes

All due respect to you, I thought that it would be difficult - NOT because of your extensive insight and experience but because of my inability to accurately and concisely explain my specific situation and environment (using PC with so many variables, settings, options and Modules).

As an example, @Archieā€¦ there are times where mandolin does show upā€¦ as this is how I was able to write tab for it.

However, it is the voicing where it isnā€™t appearingā€¦ BUT I seem to recall hearing the exact ā€œMandolin soundā€ beforeā€¦ which makes me wonder if it is a channel assignment issue for Module 1 perhaps?

I am going to dig into this more today. I am so close, so I want to get this figured out.

One thing that is good is thatā€¦ now that the tab is written, I can easily copy/paste the tab to another module to see if the channel assignments affect it voicing options list. I just hesitate because I have also seen it mess up tabs when you change instrumentsā€¦ but that is what saving my current version and using UNDO is for, right? :wink:

I have poked around YouTube a bit and also looked in the help. To be honest, I donā€™t find the programs help system too terribly helpful :thinking::wink:.

I also did see some online separate tutorials and that is how I got this far.

I would have thought that: 1) previously hearing the Mandolin sound means my card can reproduce the sound 2) writing the tab in standard Mandolin Tab was simpleā€¦ so the program would use that voicing - or at least have it available.

This is where it seems there is an assignment nuance I am overlooking in the software design itself.

Maybe because the Mandolin Tab was used, it is removing it from the list as it is assigned?

Thanks sooooo much for your patience to read all this and offer guidance!

3 Likes

Good to hear that you are on the quest for a better sounding mandolin. Once you find it please shareā€¦

As I said in my last post. I learned most of what I know about TablEdit from trial and error itā€™s pretty much like learning banjo once you figure stuff out it sticks with you.

If you have a query donā€™t hold back, go ahead and ask, I may not be able to help but someone else might. That is what this community is all about helping each other, sharing knowledge, experience and yes even failure. We all go though highā€™s and lowā€™s even @BanjoBen will attest to that.

3 Likes